Any FCC approved BCM20732 modules released?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wondering if anyone is aware of pre-built modules with BCM20732 that have FCC approval?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Update.

I looked into this further and it's my understanding that we will not be seeking full modular approval on the
current product (the required metal can around the package may cause a redesign of the PCB antenna), but are considering it for future revisions.

The material we posted recently should help customers better understand how they would go about fully qualifying their end product.

http://community.broadcom.com/docs/DOC-1072

Sorry for the confusion.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

iDevices has a BCM20732 based module that is FCC and CE Certified: iDevices Bluetooth Smart Module

The Broadcom BCM20732S has limited modular approval for US & Taiwan (Requires just host spurious emissions of final product), but Europe & Japan have full modular approval.

Both products (BRCM and iDevices, the iDevices part has an extra "i" at the end of the PN) are available through our franchised distributors here in North America.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this information.  Are you saying that the iDevices part is fully FCC certified (modular approval)?

0 Likes

Correct.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the speedy reply.  This surprises me.  My understanding was that the reason the BCM20732S had only limited approval was the lack of a metal shield (can) prevented it.  Granted, the things I don't understand about the approval process could fill volumes.  If iDevices could achieve full approval of the module, is there any technical reason that Broadcom could not also offer a fully-qualified device?

-Thanks.

0 Likes

The Broadcom based BCM20732S has an FCC ID, which is normally sufficient for approval purposes; however, it is a limited modular approval.

0 Likes

I just posted a document which explains Brodcom BCM20732S SIP Module Regulatory Approvals in a bit more detail: Broadcom BCM20732S Regulatory Approvals

0 Likes

Update.

I looked into this further and it's my understanding that we will not be seeking full modular approval on the
current product (the required metal can around the package may cause a redesign of the PCB antenna), but are considering it for future revisions.

The material we posted recently should help customers better understand how they would go about fully qualifying their end product.

http://community.broadcom.com/docs/DOC-1072

Sorry for the confusion.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me ask two questions about iDevices module.

(1) If we buy/use iDevices 20732i module, we don't need to care about FCC.

Only displaying FCC ID is needed. Is my understanding correct?

(2) Where could I find 20736/7 based full certified module?

0 Likes

My understanding is that the iDevices BCM20732S module leverages the Broadcom Modular Certification described here: Broadcom BCM20732S Regulatory Approvals

I believe your understanind is correct in that an additional module certification will not be required.

I'm not aware of a 20736/7 based module that iDevices is developing, but I have included some members of their team on this post to confirm.

smonteith daviddavis@idevicesinc.com ramaidevices mikedaigle michaeltetreault

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any regulatory approval for BCM20736S and BCM20737S?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

iDevices has not obtained this info - It is our understanding it will be the same process as 732

0 Likes

Regression testing for regulatory on the new 20736S and 20737S began on 30 July and is expected to be complete on 30 August.  These two devices will essentially use the same regulatory approvals provided on the 20732S.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The iDevices module is the BCM20732i. Basically the 732S with an overlay BLE stack that includes Authentication, Encryption. and Over-The-Air update (OTA). Like the BCM20732S the i is a "Limited Modular Approval". Full Modular Approval was not possible because there is no metallic housing/shielding on the module. That being said any customer who uses this module still needs to perform spurious emissions testing to complete FCC certification in their product. Class 1 or Class 2 power has no influence on FCC testing.

Regards,

Shawn Monteith

CTO and VP of Engineering

iDevices

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Shawn,

Is PCII (Class II permission change) filing necessary when using this module in a new host?

Thanks,

Mehrdad

0 Likes

I believe the answer is yes per here: Re: 20732S regulatory certification

a.

Minimum Filing: Broadcom will provide authorizations for customers to do minimum filings and get FCC/IC approvals in their IDs. Integration into hosts other than approved host under the LMA requires additional testing inside the hosts and a Class 2 permissive change. 

0 Likes