Memory sharing Between two microcontrollers

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Harpreetsingh
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I am using CY62167EV30LL, I want to share this memory between 2 microcontrollers. 

Query 1: can we share it? If yes, please suggest the solution.

I have thought to share half address line between the two microcontroller.

Other way around to mux the address line between the two controller and separate data lines for each controller.

Please suggest the solution.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @Harpreetsingh ,

1) If you want to share the memory between two processors one way is to give access to both the processors separately. Now if the data is also shared meaning say processor A writes some data in the memory and processor B wants to read this data then you will also need to take care of the cache coherency issue. This is done to ensure that processor B has access to latest written data in the memory. If both the processor work independently of one another then you can ignore the cache coherency algorithm implementation.

2) If you want to provide a dedicated section of the memory to both the processors say top half to processor A and lower half to processor B then you can fix the logic level for the most significant address bit. You can fix the logic level to 1 for processor A and 0 for processor B.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @Harpreetsingh ,

I have one question, are you looking to provide separate memory locations to the two microcontrollers (form the memory) or is it okay if the two microcontroller share the entire memory and is able to read and write to any locations. 

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes

Hi @PradiptaB_11,

Both will work. Would prefer to have cost effective solution. Please suggest both options.

0 Likes

Hi @Harpreetsingh ,

1) If you want to share the memory between two processors one way is to give access to both the processors separately. Now if the data is also shared meaning say processor A writes some data in the memory and processor B wants to read this data then you will also need to take care of the cache coherency issue. This is done to ensure that processor B has access to latest written data in the memory. If both the processor work independently of one another then you can ignore the cache coherency algorithm implementation.

2) If you want to provide a dedicated section of the memory to both the processors say top half to processor A and lower half to processor B then you can fix the logic level for the most significant address bit. You can fix the logic level to 1 for processor A and 0 for processor B.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes
Thanks Pradipta for your suggestion. Right now I have thought to use separate memories of required size for each controller as that seems to be cost effective solution. Instead of sharing higher memory size between the two MCUs.

Regards,
Harpreet Singh
0 Likes