CY7C1370 Upgrade Compatibility

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

What considerations must be made when upgrading SRAM to stay current with new technology?

Specifically, CY7C1370KVE33-167AXI appears to be the recommended replacement for CY7C1370C-167AI.

Is the KVE part a drop in replacement for the C part?

Are any physical modifications required to circuit assemblies designed for the C part?

Are any programming updates required to utilize the KVE part in existing applications designed for the C part?

Is there any data available that would minimize the requirement for regression testing?

I was not able to find any applications notes related to upgrading SRAM in existing designs. If I overlooked some existing documentation, please let me know.

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi Greg,

The  CY7C1370KVE33-167AXI  is the drop in replacement for  CY7C1370C-167AI so you will not require any PCB modifications/ design changes at your end. Generally when the technology node of SRAMs are upgraded they are kept backward compatible to previous nodes. Only some changes may be implemented on the RFU pins if any on the SRAMs. I do not think you will also require any programming updates as well.

Also the below app note may help you to understand the advantages of 65 nm part over 90 nm and other previous tech nodes. 

https://www.cypress.com/file/157776/download

Thanks,

Pradipta.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi Greg,

The  CY7C1370KVE33-167AXI  is the drop in replacement for  CY7C1370C-167AI so you will not require any PCB modifications/ design changes at your end. Generally when the technology node of SRAMs are upgraded they are kept backward compatible to previous nodes. Only some changes may be implemented on the RFU pins if any on the SRAMs. I do not think you will also require any programming updates as well.

Also the below app note may help you to understand the advantages of 65 nm part over 90 nm and other previous tech nodes. 

https://www.cypress.com/file/157776/download

Thanks,

Pradipta.