Using XMC 4700 Sense2GoL Pulse with PlatformIO

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
doja
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

I'm trying to get the DEMO Sense2Gol Pulse Board (XMC4700) to run using PlatformIO and I'm wondering if anybody has had success in attempting this.

There appears some initial work being done (the header file for the board is in /variants/XMC4700/config/XMC4700_Radar_Baseboard) but work looks unfinished.

I've tried to use Doppler sample for the older XMC1300 based board (naively thinking that the shield must be kind of similar with the same BGT24... ID) and I'm stuck in finding out which steps need to be taken to activate the radar shield and what else to change.

Second route I've tried was to use the sample Arduino IDE Example that es well documented in the code example/starting guide, but I get linker errors  for "write" etc. although the symbol is made available through the patch header.

Any help or pointers on where to look are very welcome!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Montassar-BR
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 5 questions asked 250 sign-ins

Hi @doja 

Please take a look at this GitHub repository for https://github.com/Infineon/XMC-for-Arduino/tree/24Ghz-radar where the Radar BaseBoard XMC4700, used within the DEMO SENSE2GLPULSE is supported.
Please make a try and let us know of your findings.

It's worth noting that the DEMO SENSE2GOL based on XMC1300 is discontinued, thus no more support is offered. 

Cheers,
Montassar.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @doja ,

Can you please share the code/files and documents you are referring to get more clear idea of the issue you are facing?

Meanwhile we would also suggest you to go through some of the documents for the DEMO SENSE2GOL PULSE

Best Regards,

Honey

0 Likes
doja
Level 1
Level 1

Seconc scenario is the stock sample project downloaded from:

https://github.com/Infineon/XMC-for-Arduino/releases/download/V1.4.0/XMC_IFX_1.4.0.zip

added configuration for the libarary in platform.ini

build_flags =
-DINTERRUPT_USE_ERU -DSERIAL_USE_U1C1
-L Radar_S2GLO_Puled_Doppler_Radar
-llibRadar_S2GL_Pulsed_Doppler_lib.a

And I get linker errors:

me/guest/.platformio/packages/toolchain-gccarmnoneeabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/7.2.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/v7e-m/libc_nano.a(lib_a-writer.o): In function `_write_r':
writer.c:(.text._write_r+0x10): undefined reference to `_write'

for write, close, fstat etc.

At least for write, this totaly strange to me, since the included patch.h defines the symbol:

void write(const char* s) {
Serial.write(s);
}
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
doja
Level 1
Level 1

First scenario is quite simple.

I took the XMC1300 Sens2Gol Example. The BGT_ON define does not exist for the XMC4700 base Sense2Gol Pulse. As far as I understood the documentation, the shield should be switched on using BGT_VCC_PAT, so if added this to the header file ( /* 39 */ {XMC_GPIO_PORT0, 14}, // BGT_VCC_PTAT P0.14). The other modification I've made is to change the I & Q Channel to A0/A1

Modified files and project are attached.

0 Likes
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @doja ,

We are looking into the query, meanwhile you can go through the new version of GitHub example codes for reference https://github.com/Infineon/XMC-for-Arduino/releases

We will get back to you soon

Thank you for your patience!

Best Regards,

Honey

0 Likes
doja
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for your support!

In the meantime, I've tried the third option:

Installed the Arduino IDE to be able to have at least running sample.

Followed the instructions from the PDF application note.

Sample won compile: arm-none-eabi-g++: no such file or directory.

Installed the ARM gcc tools manuall and created a symlink to the expected locations.

Won't compile:

/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S: Assembler messages:
/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S:211: Error: cannot honor width suffix -- `ldr sp,=__initial_sp'
/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S:215: Error: selected processor does not support `blx r0' in Thumb mode
/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S:240: Error: selected processor does not support `ittt ge' in Thumb mode
/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S:241: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `ldrge r0,[r1,r3]'
/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S:242: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `strge r0,[r2,r3]'
/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S:271: Error: selected processor does not support `itt ge' in Thumb mode
/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S:272: Error: thumb conditional instruction should be in IT block -- `strge r0,[r1,r2]'
/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S:282: Error: selected processor does not support `blx r0' in Thumb mode
/home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/variants/XMC4700/startup_XMC4700.S:286: Error: selected processor does not support `blx r0' in Thumb mode
Using library BGT24LTR11-Pulsed-Doppler-Radar at version 1.0.0 in folder: /home/guest/.arduino15/packages/Infineon/hardware/arm/1.4.0/libraries/BGT24LTR11-Pulsed-Doppler-Radar
exit status 1
Error compiling for board DEMO Radar BB XMC4700.

Best regards, doja

0 Likes
doja
Level 1
Level 1

I've managed to get the sample code running.

- Arduino IDE / Loading of XMC support seems to work only on windows machines

- most recent version available with the installation method described in the application note (1.4) contains a library that is not working correctly and needs to replaced with the library posted here:

https://community.infineon.com/t5/Radar-sensor/The-basic-arduino-code-of-Sense2GoL-pulse-always-goes...

Am I correct that there is no Linux support for the Arduino IDE? (I got an error: no file or directory and I assume that the Windows version of the toolchain was installed)?

What I'm interested in are these two points:

- what needs to be done in order to get the sample to compile with a manual install of ARM GCC for Linux?

- what needs to be done to get the board to work with PlatformIO (running on Linux)?

Best regards!

0 Likes
Montassar-BR
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 5 questions asked 250 sign-ins

Hi @doja 

Please take a look at this GitHub repository for https://github.com/Infineon/XMC-for-Arduino/tree/24Ghz-radar where the Radar BaseBoard XMC4700, used within the DEMO SENSE2GLPULSE is supported.
Please make a try and let us know of your findings.

It's worth noting that the DEMO SENSE2GOL based on XMC1300 is discontinued, thus no more support is offered. 

Cheers,
Montassar.

0 Likes