Reduce radar scanning angle

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
mickael
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First like given First question asked

Hello,

I want to use the shield Autonom BGT60 in a project for people detection. I would have more information to know how i can reduce the scanning angle of the radar ? I suppose i need to design a specific "lens" in a metalic parts to reduce it.

If someone can help on this topic !

Regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @mickael ,

Yes, a lens structure can be used to alter the scanning angle of the antenna.

To reduce a scanning angle a radome or lens structure can be constructed to alter the beam characteristics intentionally. Such a radome or lens needs to be designed using electromagnetic simulation tools in conjunction with the antenna and desired field of view in consideration. Based on the needs of specific end equipment, radomes can be constructed in several shapes with different materials as per the requirement. There are several aspects to be considered while designing a structure such as their impacts on the EM waves transmitted from the antenna, the dielectric constant of material used etc. 

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Honey

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Honey_D

Hello @mickael ,

Yes, a lens structure can be used to alter the scanning angle of the antenna.

To reduce a scanning angle a radome or lens structure can be constructed to alter the beam characteristics intentionally. Such a radome or lens needs to be designed using electromagnetic simulation tools in conjunction with the antenna and desired field of view in consideration. Based on the needs of specific end equipment, radomes can be constructed in several shapes with different materials as per the requirement. There are several aspects to be considered while designing a structure such as their impacts on the EM waves transmitted from the antenna, the dielectric constant of material used etc. 

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Honey

mickael
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First like given First question asked

Hello @Honey_D , thanks for these informations but do they exist a guide or tutorial for that ?

0 Likes
Honey_D

Hello @mickael ,

Unfortunately, we do not have any documents related on guidelines or tutorial for radomes/lens design. While designing the structure there are some general considerations, few of which I mentioned above.

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes
Honey_D

Hello @mickael ,

Apologies for the earlier response

Please login into the website through your myinfineon id and refer to the following document for your reference: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN644_Radome_Design_Guide_BGT60LTR11AIP-ApplicationNotes-v01_...

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes