Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

Radar sensor Forum Discussions

Ruth
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I am currently trying to use recorded data from the GUI with MATLAB for the BGT60TR13C sensor. I have extracted data using the Radar fusion GUI and am now looking to use this information in MATLAB. I have used the code provided below to do so:

allData = textread('InitialDataRecording.raw.txt','%s','delimiter','\n');
% Make allData cells empty if numerical
numericalArray = cellfun(@(s) sscanf(s,'%f').' ,allData, 'un', 0);
% Get Header
header = allData(cellfun('isempty',numericalArray));
% Get Data
data = vertcat(numericalArray{:});
plot(data)

and have obtained a plot as shown below in MATLAB.

Ruth_0-1673458790739.png

However, what I am confused about is how do I distinguish between the different antennas? Since from my understanding there is data from each antenna being recorded at each frame. Any help would greatly appreciate.

Many thanks,

Ruth

0 Likes
3 Replies
HoneyDhandhukia
25 likes received First comment on blog First question asked

Hello @Ruth ,

The raw data obtained are arranged in cube data structure and the explanation for the antenna order is described in the SDK documentation. Please refer to the attached images and also documentation Radar SDK documentation.

Measurement_frame.PNGraw data format.PNG

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I understand the layout of the cube structure but where I am confused is that the data in the text file is recorded in a single column, I'm struggling to understand how the cube structure outlined above can be read from a textfile of data recorded as shown below.image.png

From the data shown above I cannot see how you can tell which data corresponds to the relevant IF from the screenshot obtained from the GUI below.

image (1).png

Any help would be really appreciated. 

Thanks

Ruth

0 Likes
HoneyDhandhukia
25 likes received First comment on blog First question asked

Hello @Ruth ,

Please refer to the the Help Contents available in the Help menu of Radar Fusion GUI  for more detailed information on the format recorded data.

The data format is specified in the recorded data text file itself. 

## Data_Format_Enum_Def = {DATA_REAL = 0, DATA_COMPLEX = 1, DATA_COMPLEX_INTERLEAVED = 2}

Since Data_Format_Enum value is 0, the recorded data is real (I only) and has the inputs from three receiving antennas structured as corresponding to each receiver antennas (1,2,3) respectively.

Radar time-domain data contained in a measurement frame is obtained as a cube data structure. As shown in the figure below for BGT60TR13C:

BGT60TR13C_Frame.PNG

For BGT60TR13C, the measurement frame dimension are translated to the ifx_Cube_R_t metrics as:

ifx_Cube_R_t Frame dimensions BGT60TR13C
Rows Number of Rx antennas for each active Tx antenna available in the device 3
Columns Number of chirps configured in a frame As per the configuration set in Fusion GUI
Slices Number of samples per chirp As per the configuration set in Fusion GUI

Now, if you want to extract the data for a single Antenna, say virtual antenna 2, and place it in an ifx_Matrix_R_t  and use the function ifx_cube_get_row_r  with the required antenna number as parameter. It results in the metrics ifx_Matrix_R_t , where rows correspond to chirps and columns correspond to samples per chirp for a particular virtual antenna. This can be used further in processes such as range doppler and many more.

Please note the the cube data structure varies with respect to the number of transmitter and receiver antennas active on the board 

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes