Raw data problem

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
shibiana
Level 3
Level 3
First like received 25 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hi,

I am confused about the physical meaning of raw data in time domain (Normalized ADC values: the Amplitude in the picture. I want to make use of the raw data to compute the features I need).  And what is the meaning of   "Range" in Units Configuration?

shibiana_0-1668521289098.jpeg

0 Likes
1 Solution
Neo_Lu
50 replies posted 5 likes given 100 sign-ins

Hi, 

Whether Radar can be used for plastic materials and cloth materials depends on the reflection of these materials. Usually, these plastic and clothe material have low reflection rate which makes it more difficult to detection than metal material.

Neo_Lu_0-1668757147486.png

Neo_Lu_1-1668757184898.png

There two documents may make it clear if you interested:

1. Radar wave propagation through materials

2. Frustrated total reflection / Microwaves

Hope that will help you,

Neo Lu

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Neo_Lu

Hi, 

Thank you for your question.

From the GUI snapping you provided, it is more likely that you are using BGT60TR13C Demo board. 

The BGT60TR13C only can provide the raw data of Real value of IF signal, and in Radar GUI, the default format of raw data is normalized which can be found in the  Help_Radar_GUI (as shown below):

Neo_Lu_0-1668566464543.png

What's more, the "Range" are set to match the different units of length for different situations, it has no influence on measurement.

Hope that will help you.

Neo Lu

0 Likes

Thank you! But how can I know the phase information according to the raw data?

0 Likes
Neo_Lu

Hi, 

BGT60TR13C produces only a real IF (intermediate frequency) signal but you can generate the complex component if required by performing Fourier Transform, and you can get the phase information.

There are some useful resource can help you:

Download Radar development Kit from infineon development center.

C:\Infineon\Tools\Radar Development Kit\3.3.0.202209061352\assets\software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\apps

Hope that will help you,

Neo Lu

0 Likes

Thank you, I get it. I wonder the radar's detection capability of plastic materials and cloth materials,  or it mainly has good performance for metal articles?

0 Likes
Neo_Lu

Hi, 

Whether Radar can be used for plastic materials and cloth materials depends on the reflection of these materials. Usually, these plastic and clothe material have low reflection rate which makes it more difficult to detection than metal material.

Neo_Lu_0-1668757147486.png

Neo_Lu_1-1668757184898.png

There two documents may make it clear if you interested:

1. Radar wave propagation through materials

2. Frustrated total reflection / Microwaves

Hope that will help you,

Neo Lu

0 Likes

Thank you for your information!

0 Likes