Radar Data Cube

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
shoko_s
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hello, 

I'm aiming to display the Radar Data Cube as the following image using the raw data from BGT60TR13C. 

cube.png

I understand that "Range vs. Velocity" plot is solved by RangeFFT and DopplerFFT(Range Doppler Transformation) by reference to Radar SDK documantation. 

Please let me know the method how to solve "Range vs. Angle".  

Also, do you have any reference document for synthesizing the three parameters(Range, Velocity, Angle)? 

Please advise. 

Thank you, Shoko 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Deepa_V
First comment on KBA 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hi @shoko_s ,

Please follow the steps below to make it run : 

• Install the ifxAvian-3.3.1-py3-none-any.whl which is present in software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\libs\win32_x64 using 'pip install' with the complete path of the file as shown : 

Deepa_V_0-1669885259786.png

• Also, Please open the command prompt from the folder where you have the python code (software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\apps\py\examples) and use the command  'py -3.7 range-angle-map.py'. Please note '-3.7' would have to be replaced by the version of python you have installed in your system. 

Deepa_V_1-1669885575444.png   

Do let us know if you still face any issues ! 

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Deepa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Deepa_V

Hi @shoko_s ,

Your understanding of Range vs Velocity i.e 'Range Doppler Map' in RDK is right. Range Doppler spectrum has two processing chains, one is over time domain chirp data (i.e. fast time) named as range FFT computation, second processing chain is over all range FFT bins (i.e. slow time) named as Doppler FFT. Afterwards, thresholding is applied on real 2D matrix to finally generate the Range Doppler Map. 

As for Range vs Angle, we have the Range-Angle Image provided in the RDK which shows the ranges and angles of detected objects relative to the radar system. For more information on how the range-angle estimation works, you can refer this thread which explains the concept : https://community.infineon.com/t5/Radar-sensor/BGT60TR13C-RX-phase-shift/td-p/355533 . 

Additionally, although we don't have any documentation specifically explaining the 3D implementation of Range, Velocity and Angle, it is to be noted that the range-doppler matrix can be extended in the third dimension to contain information for different aspects which could be either different antennas or different predefined angles, thus combining the range-doppler matrix with a range-angle matrix.

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Deepa

0 Likes
shoko_s
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Deepa, 

Thank you for your response. 

I have additional question about Range vs Angle. 

2.png

I predict that "app_rdm.exe" can be used for the process from Time-domain signal to Range-Doppler in the above image.  

Do you have any reference program of DBF and Range-beam data output? 

Please advise. 

Regards, Shoko 

0 Likes
Deepa_V

Hi @shoko_s ,

You're right, 'app_rdm.c' example illustrates how to fetch and process time-domain data from an Avian radar sensor using Range-Doppler Map (RDM) algorithm and 2D MTI for filtering of the Radar SDK is also implemented on the same.

As for DBF, we have an example for the same in python in the RDK (assets\software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\apps\py\examples\DBF.py) which you can use for reference . Similarly, for the Range-beam, you can refer the example on Range Angle Map which would demonstrate the complete Range Angle Map Algorithm (assets\software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\apps\py\examples\range-angle-map.py).

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Deepa

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
shoko_s
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Deepa, 

Thank you for the information. 

I tried to run range-angle-map.py but an error has occurred. 

Regarding error message, please see the attached file. 

Could you please let me know the reason of error and any solution? 

Please advise. 

Thanks, Shoko

0 Likes
Deepa_V

Hi @shoko_s ,

Please follow the steps below to make it run : 

• Install the ifxAvian-3.3.1-py3-none-any.whl which is present in software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\libs\win32_x64 using 'pip install' with the complete path of the file as shown : 

Deepa_V_0-1669885259786.png

• Also, Please open the command prompt from the folder where you have the python code (software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\apps\py\examples) and use the command  'py -3.7 range-angle-map.py'. Please note '-3.7' would have to be replaced by the version of python you have installed in your system. 

Deepa_V_1-1669885575444.png   

Do let us know if you still face any issues ! 

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Deepa

0 Likes
shoko_s
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Deepa, 

Thank you for your response. 

I was able to run range-angle-map.py by taking the above solution. 

2.png

Thank you very much! 

Shoko 

0 Likes