Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
parth1568
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins First question asked

Hi,

I am working with BGT60TR13C. I have a demo kit from Infineon on which I run the presence detection code. We have developed a custom PCB with that same BGT60TR13C with ESP32 as MCU interfacing. I received a presence detection code from Infineon running on ESP32. It is working and detecting presence. The output of both the custom PCB and Infineon demo kit slightly differ. 

With the same position of both boards, one by one the detection angle in custom PCB is lesser than in the demo kit. The demo kit gives a wider range whereas the custom PCB has less range in terms of angle. I doubt about RF-related issues. for that, I am attaching the PCB reference here . In the Custom PCB center is the Sensor and the rest area is copper and some other sensor. 

Radar configuration data is the same in both the cases I have reverse-engineered and make than same in both. 

Regards,
Parth Suthar.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @parth1568 ,

While designing a custom PCB with AIP, the major issue faced is isolation of RF signal towards PCB. Interaction of the RF signal with the PCB can result in two different effects which have an impact on the overall antenna radiation pattern. A large part of the signal will be radiated by the TX antenna as intended with the designed radiation pattern. However, the resulting radiation pattern of the whole system will be formed by the superposition of the signal directly radiated from the antenna and all other signal portions, e.g., reflected or re-radiated from the PCB for all spatial angles. This means that reduced isolation between package and PCB will lead to more reflection and re-radiation from the PCB, and therefore can potentially cause more deviation to the initial radiation pattern of the pure package.

One option to address this effect can be increasing the height of the antenna and first PCB ground plan, which can be achieved by filling with air and PCB laminate material. Other option can be designing a radome/lens structure to improve the radiation pattern.

It is important to note that using this concept to optimize the antenna gain can require a custom PCB layer stack and knowledge of the dielectric properties of the substrate material at the RF frequency. As a result, the concept might not be applicable for all applications

To gain a deeper understanding of the impact of PCB on radar sensors that have integrated antennas, you may refer to section 2 of the application note. Please note that only this section will be relevant to understanding the concept in greater detail. Please refer to app note AN600 to understand the radiation pattern of BGT60TR13C

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Honey

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @parth1568 ,

While designing a custom PCB with AIP, the major issue faced is isolation of RF signal towards PCB. Interaction of the RF signal with the PCB can result in two different effects which have an impact on the overall antenna radiation pattern. A large part of the signal will be radiated by the TX antenna as intended with the designed radiation pattern. However, the resulting radiation pattern of the whole system will be formed by the superposition of the signal directly radiated from the antenna and all other signal portions, e.g., reflected or re-radiated from the PCB for all spatial angles. This means that reduced isolation between package and PCB will lead to more reflection and re-radiation from the PCB, and therefore can potentially cause more deviation to the initial radiation pattern of the pure package.

One option to address this effect can be increasing the height of the antenna and first PCB ground plan, which can be achieved by filling with air and PCB laminate material. Other option can be designing a radome/lens structure to improve the radiation pattern.

It is important to note that using this concept to optimize the antenna gain can require a custom PCB layer stack and knowledge of the dielectric properties of the substrate material at the RF frequency. As a result, the concept might not be applicable for all applications

To gain a deeper understanding of the impact of PCB on radar sensors that have integrated antennas, you may refer to section 2 of the application note. Please note that only this section will be relevant to understanding the concept in greater detail. Please refer to app note AN600 to understand the radiation pattern of BGT60TR13C

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes