Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Jim587681
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins 5 replies posted First like received

I have a mmwave bgt60tr24 sensor and i am trying to understand the IF Signal, i think it's amplitude vs time. I get around 36 frames in a second and each frame has 32 samples.

I am trying to calculate distance of an object from the sensor.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Siddharth_H
100 solutions authored 50 likes received First question asked

Hi @Jim587681 ,

1) You cannot run the examples code with v116 firmware, you will have to use the latest 2.x.x version firmwares to use both code examples and Fusion GUI. You can maybe try to integrate your code into the latest firmware.

2) "But the Radar Fusion GUI Application stops responding after a couple of minutes." Does this happen while you are recording the data? Which Fusion GUI version are you using? 

Please use Firmware v2.6.0 and Fusion GUI v3.5.4, let us know if you still face the problem.

3) You can read through the SDK Documentation which explains you about the basic parameters and also how they are related to each other. 

Siddharth_H_0-1702455212713.png

Moreover, you can simply play around with configurations in Fusion GUI and watch how the detection parameters change (you can observe these under the configuration settings itself like range, speed etc)

Thanks,

Siddharth.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
Siddharth_H

Hi @Jim587681 ,

To calculate distance out of raw data you will have to perform a Fast Fourier Transform on the data. 

I strongly suggest you to download the Radar Development Kit and head to the RFS SDK Documentation->Introduction to Radar where you will get to find data processing techniques and radar basics.

Moreover, we provide example code to calculate distance, angle and presence suing C and Python that supports the device you have. You can find these in examples folder of RDK.

Thanks,

Siddharth.

0 Likes

Thanks @Siddharth_H , I will definitely try it and update here.....

Thanks for such quick response, really appreciate it:)

Jim587681
Level 1
Level 1

@Siddharth_H I have downloaded the RDK and the RADAR Fusion GUI, I have connected the MMwave sensor to my PC. The Radar Fusion GUI is not picking it up. Do I need to flash firmware?

0 Likes
Siddharth_H

Hi @Jim587681 ,

Yes you will need to flash the firmware for the first time you use the board. Use Fusion GUI to do it, head out to Device-> Flash Firmware.

Also, make sure the shield is properly connected to the baseboard in the right direction. You can attach a picture of your setup if you are sceptical about if you are doing it right.

Thank you,

Siddharth.,

0 Likes
Jim587681
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Siddharth_H 

There is already a firmware installed in the Sensor.

RadarBaseboardMCU7_v116.bin

Do i still need to flash the default firmware..... Does the example code requires me to flash the RadarBaseboardMCU7_v2.6.0.bin.

Right now , I am getting this error on running the example codes

raise get_exception(error_code, error_description)
ifxradarsdk.common.exceptions.ErrorNoDevice: no compatible device found (IFX_ERROR_NO_DEVICE)

The Radar Fusion GUI shows "No Device Detected" as is.

Is there any difference of example code between different Radar Development Kit version....

The Radar Development Kit used before was 3.3.0 and I am currently using the latest one:3.5.1

0 Likes

Hi @Jim587681 ,

Radar Fusion GUI does not with with RadarBaseboardMCU7_v116.bin, you will have to flash the RadarBaseboardMCU7_v2.6.0.bin as this firmware is meant to work with Fusion GUI.

The Radar Development Kit 3.3.0 and 3.5.1 are not very different, there are just some improvements and support to newer devices and a update in the Python package but I recommend you to use the latest version.

Thank you,

Siddharth.

0 Likes

Hi @Siddharth_H , is there any difference between the firmware. I have a code which was written based on firmware RadarBaseboardMCU7_v116.bin. Is there a possibility that updating the firmware will break the code which was written for RadarBaseboardMCU7_v116.bin. 
I want to run the example codes, is there any way that I can use the "RadarBaseboardMCU7_v116.bin" firmware to run the example codes.
Thanks

0 Likes

I have flashed the latest firmware.... But the Radar Fusion GUI Application stops responding after a couple of minutes. 

0 Likes
Jim587681
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Siddharth_H , is there any doc for FMCW configuration that I can refer.

0 Likes
Siddharth_H

Hi @Jim587681 ,

1) You cannot run the examples code with v116 firmware, you will have to use the latest 2.x.x version firmwares to use both code examples and Fusion GUI. You can maybe try to integrate your code into the latest firmware.

2) "But the Radar Fusion GUI Application stops responding after a couple of minutes." Does this happen while you are recording the data? Which Fusion GUI version are you using? 

Please use Firmware v2.6.0 and Fusion GUI v3.5.4, let us know if you still face the problem.

3) You can read through the SDK Documentation which explains you about the basic parameters and also how they are related to each other. 

Siddharth_H_0-1702455212713.png

Moreover, you can simply play around with configurations in Fusion GUI and watch how the detection parameters change (you can observe these under the configuration settings itself like range, speed etc)

Thanks,

Siddharth.

0 Likes

"Please use Firmware v2.6.0 and Fusion GUI v3.5.4, let us know if you still face the problem." I am using the same versions as these. This problem occurs like 3/10 times.
Thanks

James

0 Likes
Siddharth_H

Hi @Jim587681 ,

I do not see this happening at my side, can you elaborate on after how long does this happen, you can possibly share the logs also and your system configurations.

Thanks,

Siddharth.

0 Likes
Jim587681
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Siddharth_H , I think its a cable issue because it happens everytime I mess with the cable. 

By the way , is there any video tutorials of training video for understanding these sensors that you would recommend.

Thanks 🙂

James

0 Likes
Siddharth_H

Hi @Jim587681 ,

Unfortunately we don't have any training videos for this, but I can assure you that the RDK documentation is good and easy to understand.

Thanks,

Sidd.

0 Likes