Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Woenselectronic
Level 1
Level 1
First like given First reply posted First like received

Hi,

I'm writing an application where I need to measure the water level inside a metal, open on one side container. Like a pan. The sensor is placed above this container. I've built an application on the example for python 'static_distance.py'. I have two questions regarding this.

1. With tweaking the parameters the smallest resolution I can get is around ~14 mm. Is it somehow possible to get a smaller resolution in this application? 

2. The image below shows the distance to the strongest signal that is reflected back to Rx3. I am filling the pan with water here. The pan seems to cause a lot of noise here. How can I reduce the noise of the reflecting metal surfaces? I tried reducing the influence of these reflections by tweaking the FFT calculation. I multiply the samples 0 to 8 and 20 to 32 by a value of 0.1. But this is really just putting a band aid on the problem I think. 

RADAR_Waterlevel_sensing_test_Pan_fill_2.png

I see great potential for this sensor for our application, but before we go further in development I think some guidance is needed.

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution
Deepa_V
50 likes received 250 replies posted 5 likes given

Hi @Woenselectronic ,

With BGT60TR13C, you should be able to obtain range resolution as low as 30mm by tweeking the parameters a bit more. Do try adjusting the bandwidth to attain the same.

As for the reflections from metal surfaces, since the reflections are unavoidable, we can propose a few alternates to the same:
1. Either you can increase the pan diameter and reduce the FoV of the radar so that the focus is only on the water level and the metal surface doesn't come into the view of radar.
2. You can possibly use a different material for the pan such that it won't cause such reflections.

And yes, you're right, tweeking the FFT calculation is not the right way to cancel out noise in this case.

Hope this helps !

Best Regards,

Deepa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Deepa_V
50 likes received 250 replies posted 5 likes given

Hi @Woenselectronic ,

With BGT60TR13C, you should be able to obtain range resolution as low as 30mm by tweeking the parameters a bit more. Do try adjusting the bandwidth to attain the same.

As for the reflections from metal surfaces, since the reflections are unavoidable, we can propose a few alternates to the same:
1. Either you can increase the pan diameter and reduce the FoV of the radar so that the focus is only on the water level and the metal surface doesn't come into the view of radar.
2. You can possibly use a different material for the pan such that it won't cause such reflections.

And yes, you're right, tweeking the FFT calculation is not the right way to cancel out noise in this case.

Hope this helps !

Best Regards,

Deepa

0 Likes

Hi Deepa,

Thanks for the quick response! For reducing the FoV, is this only possible with lenses that we put over the sensor or can this be altered in the software (SDK)?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi @Woenselectronic ,

Yes, Use of lenses is the best possible solution for reducing the FoV. 

Best Regards,

Deepa