Does BGT60LTRAIP sense movement with breath or heartbeat?

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
trung
Level 2
Level 2
10 likes given 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hi,

I'm experimenting with an project that can detect people working on a laptop, PC, reading a book, or sitting in WC.

But this activity seems to have little movement. Therefore, it is extremely important to detect breath to maintain presence detection.

Does BGT60LTR11API sense movement with breath or heartbeat?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @trung 

Answer is YES. I would confirm that such use-cases can be covered by the BGT60LTR11AIP radar device, since it's very sensitive to small movements. You can try out the device capabilities using our DEMO BGT60LTR11AIP kit.

Cheers,
Montassar.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Deepa_V
First comment on KBA 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hi @trung ,

For measuring micro motions such as the heartbeat or breath, we'd suggest you to use a 60GHz frequency modulated continuous waveform (FMCW) radar, where it would be possible to process the raw data from the sensor to obtain respiratory/breathing rate and heart rate corresponding to the target. You can either go with the BGT60TR13C demo board or KIT CSK BGT60TR13C. 

Please go through the following threads for further information on the same : https://community.infineon.com/t5/Radar-sensor/Radar-sensor-for-health-monitor/td-p/381094 , https://community.infineon.com/t5/Radar-sensor/higher-sampling-rate-capturing-of-BGT60TR13C/m-p/3535... ,  https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/sensor/radar-sensors/radar-sensors-for-iot/60ghz-radar/  . 

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Deepa

Montassar-BR
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 5 questions asked 250 sign-ins

Hi @trung 

If you want only to detect the presence of a Human target based on his heart/breath rate, and not to run vital sensing applications as suggested by @Deepa_V , I would recommend the BGT60LTR11AIP. Such radar is capable to detect the presence of someone working in front of a laptop or PC... you can just adjust the device sensitivity to a high value to always be triggered by such little movements.

We offer already on the "Radar BGT60LTR11AIP" package a ready-to-use PC Sleep and Wakeup executable demo which demonstrates the detection of a user presence in front of the PC, and turns OFF/ON the screen of the PC as a response.

MontassarBR_0-1671191685432.pngMontassarBR_1-1671191702657.png

Cheers,
Montassar.

trung
Level 2
Level 2
10 likes given 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hi, @Deepa_V 

Hi, @Montassar-BR 

Thanks for your answer!

I'm experimenting with the Lighting app.
When the presence of person is detected

• Turn on the light.

In the absence of a human presence,

• Turn off the lights

In cases of little movement

• Read book
  • Sitting and working with the computer
  • Sitting in the toilet

I need the sensor to still be able to detect the presence of a person as if the person is not moving.
That's why breath detection is essential to maintain human presence detection.
Does the BGT60LTRAIP have enough breath detection capabilities to handle these cases?

Hi @trung 

Answer is YES. I would confirm that such use-cases can be covered by the BGT60LTR11AIP radar device, since it's very sensitive to small movements. You can try out the device capabilities using our DEMO BGT60LTR11AIP kit.

Cheers,
Montassar.