Distance2GoL issue for measuring the distance of stationary objects

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins 5 replies posted First reply posted

i am using distance2go. And I have some problems about detecting and measuring the distance of stationary objects. The results are very inaccurate when measuring the distance of a stationary object with RADAR GUI.

help me measure the correct distance of a stationary object by using distance2go.

thank!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Deepa_V
First comment on KBA 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hi @12,

The FFT is used to convert radar time domain data to frequency domain. Detected objects and their Doppler signature are plotted in an Range FFT Plot with respect to the range. The range FFT is used to search for targets. A peak search is carried out over the range FFT and is used for detection of target ranges. 

You can refer : https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Radar%20FAQ-PI-v02_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d46266f85d6301671c76d... , https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/makeradar/makeradar-school/radar-theory/ for more info on processing.

If you go to C:\IFX_D2GL-HW-SW_V1.0.0\Firmware_Software\Communication Library\ComLib_Matlab_Interface\Examples\GettingStarted you'll have the plot demo file where the range FFT data is being plotted using the raw data. You can try using that file for your processing. 

In addition, as mentioned before, please note it is not suggested to use D2GL with its present algorithm for the detection of stationary objects instead you can try implementing your own algorithm using range FFT data. Also, please note that walls can absorb radar waves depending on what material they are made of. 

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Deepa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Deepa_V

Hi @12 ,

Can you please confirm whether you are using Distance2Go or Distance2GoL? 

Best regards,

Deepa

0 Likes
Level 1
Level 1

Distance2Gol

0 Likes
Level 1
Level 1

290695067_733146271142254_5180076970782784334_n.jpg

0 Likes
Deepa_V

Hi @12 ,

Please have a look at this thread which deals with similar issue :  https://community.infineon.com/t5/Radar-sensor/BGT24LTR11-with-Distance2Gol-kit/m-p/355355#M660 .

Distance2GoL is not suitable with its current algorithm, as this is designed to detect the distance to closest human or vibrating target. Implementing an own algorithm using range FFT data should work.

Do let us know if you still face any issues ! 

Best regards,

Deepa

Level 1
Level 1

i want to measure the distance of a stationary wall. The distance of the wall to the radar is 3m. Help me set parameters in radar gui.
I can't accurately measure the static object distance.

thank

0 Likes
Deepa_V

Hi @12 ,

Distance2Gol works on FMCW principle which detects the target presence by taking the difference between transmitted and received signal. Thus, if the target is stationary there will be very minor difference between the transmitted and received signal. So as stated before, it is not suggested to use D2GL with its present algorithm for the detection of stationary objects instead you can try implementing your own algorithm using range FFT data. Therefore, this cannot be set in the GUI. Also, please note that walls can absorb radar waves depending on what material they are made of.

Best regards,

Deepa

0 Likes
Level 1
Level 1
i don't know where is range FFT data in matlab. Please help me
0 Likes
Deepa_V

Hi @12,

If you run the Test_D2GL file in C:\IFX_D2GL-HW-SW_V1.0.0\Firmware_Software\Communication Library\ComLib_Matlab_Interface\Examples\ParseRawDataFile, you'll find three graphs that pop up based on the data saved from the GUI and extracted in the matlab. The range fft data is the one plotted on the range vs amplitude graph. You can see the same on the GUI as well with amplitude plotted in dB.

Best regards,

Deepa  

0 Likes
Level 1
Level 1

i want to measure level by distance2go. Give me a sample

0 Likes
Deepa_V

Hi @12 ,

If it's distance2Go that you are referring to, please note that it's not supported any more according to https://community.infineon.com/t5/Radar-sensor/Discontinued-Products-XENSIV-Radar-mmWave-24GHz-DEMO-... and if it's Distance2GoL, please note that since it's current algorithm doesn't support detection of Stationary objects keeping in mind that it was aimed to detect movement, we wouldn't have a sample to provide you. I would suggest you can take the codes present in the Radar Development Kit as a reference to develop your own algorithm. 

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Deepa

0 Likes
Level 1
Level 1

What is range FFT data? Is there any documentation about range FFT data ? ple help me.

0 Likes
Deepa_V

Hi @12,

The FFT is used to convert radar time domain data to frequency domain. Detected objects and their Doppler signature are plotted in an Range FFT Plot with respect to the range. The range FFT is used to search for targets. A peak search is carried out over the range FFT and is used for detection of target ranges. 

You can refer : https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Radar%20FAQ-PI-v02_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d46266f85d6301671c76d... , https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/makeradar/makeradar-school/radar-theory/ for more info on processing.

If you go to C:\IFX_D2GL-HW-SW_V1.0.0\Firmware_Software\Communication Library\ComLib_Matlab_Interface\Examples\GettingStarted you'll have the plot demo file where the range FFT data is being plotted using the raw data. You can try using that file for your processing. 

In addition, as mentioned before, please note it is not suggested to use D2GL with its present algorithm for the detection of stationary objects instead you can try implementing your own algorithm using range FFT data. Also, please note that walls can absorb radar waves depending on what material they are made of. 

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Deepa

0 Likes