Device not found under ubuntu

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KThormann
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like received 5 likes given

Hello,

I am using the BGT60TR13C development kit and it works fine under Windows 10. I do however have problems under Ubuntu 20.04. The device blinks green, but if I use, e.g., the example.py under RDK-TOOLS-SW/SDK/sdk/py/wrapper_avian/, I get the following error:

Radar SDK Version: v3.2.1+255.d520082d9
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "example.py", line 39, in <module>
with Device() as device:
File "/home/kthormann/Desktop/RDK-TOOLS-SW/SDK/sdk/py/wrapper_avian/src/AvianRDKWrapper/ifxRadarSDK.py", line 460, in __init__
check_rc()
File "/home/kthormann/Desktop/RDK-TOOLS-SW/SDK/sdk/py/wrapper_avian/src/AvianRDKWrapper/ifxRadarSDK.py", line 374, in check_rc
raise_exception_for_error_code(error_code, dll)
File "/home/kthormann/Desktop/RDK-TOOLS-SW/SDK/sdk/py/wrapper_avian/src/AvianRDKWrapper/ifxError.py", line 41, in raise_exception_for_error_code
raise eval(error_mapping_exception[error_code])(dll)
ifxError.ErrorNoDevice: no compatible device found (IFX_ERROR_NO_DEVICE)

My current user (kthormann) is in the dialout, but using, e.g., the mount command, the device dev/ttyACM0 is not found (also not for different trailing numbers), but a device from Infineon Technologies appears when using lsusb.

Any ideas on how to recognize the device?

Best regards

Kolja

0 Likes
1 Solution

Your user is not in the dialout group and for this reason you don't have access to read or write /dev/ttyACM0. As a consequence no device is found and you get the error IFX_ERROR_NO_DEVICE.

Add your current user to dialout using (assuming your user name is kthormann) :

sudo usermod -a -G dialout kthormann

Then log off and log on again. Check again using the commands groups if your user is now part of the dialout group. Once your user is in the dialout group you should be able to connect to the device.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
hartmannmich
Employee
Employee
First like given 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins
Error connecting to the sensor

If you cannot connect to the sensor or you get an IFX_ERROR_NO_DEVICE error, make sure that you can access the device file /dev/ttyACM0 (the trailing number might be different on your computer). On Ubuntu and Raspbian, make sure that your current user is in the group dialout. You can check the groups of your current user using:

$ groups

To add your user to the group dialout, run

$ sudo usermod -a -G dialout username

and replace username by your actual user name. Please note that the group assignment only takes effect after logging out of all running sessions

0 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply. My current user (kthormann) is in the dialout. I checked via the mount command and the device dev/ttyACM0 is not found (also not for different trailing numbers), but a device from Infineon Technologies appears when using lsusb. Is there anything else I need to do to access the device?

0 Likes
Deepa_V
First comment on KBA 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hi @KThormann ,

Can you also please mention the specifications of your linux system?

Best regards,

Deepa

I am using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, 64-bit, GNOME version 3.36.8, Windowing System X11. Is there anything else I can provide?

0 Likes

Please make sure that the latest firmware is flashed to the Radar Baseboard MCU7.

If there is no /dev/ttyACMXXX device, then the device was not correctly detected by the Linux kernel. Check also the output of the command

dmesg

as it might help to identify the issue. If possible, try to connect on a Windows PC to the same Radar Baseboard MCU7 to check if the board itself is working as expected.

The device works on Windows and I also used the .bat script on Windows to flash the latest firmware. The output of dmesg after plugging in the device is:

[11177.566176] usb 1-9: new high-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[11177.715050] usb 1-9: New USB device found, idVendor=058b, idProduct=0251, bcdDevice= 0.01
[11177.715058] usb 1-9: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[11177.715062] usb 1-9: Product: IFX CDC
[11177.715065] usb 1-9: Manufacturer: Infineon
[11177.717235] cdc_acm 1-9:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

0 Likes

The kernel clearly says that a ttyACM0 device was found. Can you check again if there is the device file /dev/ttyACM0 is present?

Using the command "mount | grep ttyACM0" gives no results. I also still get the IFX_ERROR_NO_DEVICE error when I run the example.py script. I can also reproduce the problem on a colleague's laptop who also uses Ubuntu 20.04.

0 Likes

Why mount? Mount is for including filesystems.

Can you check if the file /dev/ttyACM0 exists?

Sorry, I understand. I checked and the file /dev/ttyACM0 exists.

0 Likes

Okay, perfect. Can you check the access rights of the file?

ls -la /dev/ttyACM0

Can you also check in which group your user is?

groups

The access rights are

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Aug 24 11:28 /dev/ttyACM0

and the user groups are

kthormann adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

0 Likes

Your user is not in the dialout group and for this reason you don't have access to read or write /dev/ttyACM0. As a consequence no device is found and you get the error IFX_ERROR_NO_DEVICE.

Add your current user to dialout using (assuming your user name is kthormann) :

sudo usermod -a -G dialout kthormann

Then log off and log on again. Check again using the commands groups if your user is now part of the dialout group. Once your user is in the dialout group you should be able to connect to the device.

It works now. I completely misread that part of the documentation, sorry. Thank you!