Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
nmstuart20
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I saw in the product guide for the DEMO SENSE2GOL PULSE that the max detection speed is only 10km/h.

Is this so low because of the max sampling frequency of the chip ADC? Just trying to see if there's a development kit already out there that would allow me to measure much faster targets.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @nmstuart20

Compared to the RCS of a human target of 1 m², the RCS of the simulated golf ball is much smaller. Measuring speeds up to 4000 fps would require a sample rate of more than 400 kHz.

However, such baseband and firmware changes can be difficult or even impossible to implement, especially with the XMC4700. While in theory the Sense2GoL Pulse board seems to be the most suitable choice, there is uncertainty about the ability to detect such small targets, and whether an analog baseband and firmware upgrade would provide greater velocity has been measured

Personally, I doubt it's adequate for this particular application, and I don't recommend our radar sensor for that.

Regards,
Montassar.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @nmstuart20 ,

The maximum detection speed of DEMO Sense2GoL pulse configurable by re-soldering the baseband section and considering the sampling frequency as well as the number of samples. Please refer to section 3.9 Analog baseband section from: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN598_BGT24LTR11_Demo_Sense2GoL_Pulse-ApplicationNotes-v02_10... , where it explains the calculated Doppler frequency values for different target speeds for the 24 GHz radar module.

HoneyDhandhukia_0-1691043253227.png

To suggest a suitable product may I know what maximum speed to wish to detect and what is the application you are working on?

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes

Looking to detect golf balls at speeds up to 300 km/h.

0 Likes

Hi @nmstuart20

Compared to the RCS of a human target of 1 m², the RCS of the simulated golf ball is much smaller. Measuring speeds up to 4000 fps would require a sample rate of more than 400 kHz.

However, such baseband and firmware changes can be difficult or even impossible to implement, especially with the XMC4700. While in theory the Sense2GoL Pulse board seems to be the most suitable choice, there is uncertainty about the ability to detect such small targets, and whether an analog baseband and firmware upgrade would provide greater velocity has been measured

Personally, I doubt it's adequate for this particular application, and I don't recommend our radar sensor for that.

Regards,
Montassar.

0 Likes
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @nmstuart20 ,

Sense2GoL Pulse https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/demo-sense2gol-pulse/  would in principle be the most-suitable of our board, but we are not sure if such small targets can be detected at all and if customizing the analog baseband and the firmware enables the measurement of such high velocities as it is has not been tested for the same.

Best regards,
Honey

0 Likes
User12375
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins First solution authored 5 replies posted

Try the OPS243-A which uses the BGT24MTR11.  Set the sample frequency to 30ksps (S=30 API command). That will give you a top speed over 200mph.