Capon Angle: the number of objects that can separate in the same range and velocity

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Level 3
Level 3
First like received 50 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Hi everyone,

I have a hypothetical situation: there are two objects in the same state (range & velocity), but they are different in angle. Configuration of 60GHz radar sensor (bgt60tr13c) with two receivers (Azimuth), by using capon algorithm, can we distinguish them?

Thanks,

Minh

0 Likes
1 Solution
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @85258 ,

You got it theoretically right!

As BGT60R13C has L-shaped antennas for receiving part and for higher angular resolution, more than two receiver antennas would require in azimuth and elevation angle to distinguish such targets. Thus, it would not be possible with BGT60TR13C. 

Best Regards,

Honey 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Honey_D

Hello @85258 ,

Angle capon can be used to distinguish between two objects at different angles. Please refer to the documentation for further details located at file /Radar%20Development%20Kit/3.2.1.202205180921/application/RDK-TOOLS-SW/RDK-TOOLS-SW/SDK/doc/html/index.html/ after installing the Radar Development Kit

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Honey

0 Likes
Level 3
Level 3
First like received 50 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Hi @Honey_D,

Thanks for your information. But I am confused about that.

case1: Let says we have some snapshots ( 5 snapshots per Rx, like the default setting in FW) and do the capon algorithm. With these snapshots, we can detect one object (dominant in power). In other snapshots, we detect another one(dominant in power). So, we can distinguish them. If your idea is like that, it's ok!

case2: we only have 5 snapshots, can we distinguish two objects? I think we need more than two receivers (at least 3 receivers) per azimuth or elevation to distinguish them. Did I get it wrong theoretically? max(target in same range) < (number of Rx - 1).

Best Regards

Minh

0 Likes
Honey_D

Hello @85258 ,

You got it theoretically right!

As BGT60R13C has L-shaped antennas for receiving part and for higher angular resolution, more than two receiver antennas would require in azimuth and elevation angle to distinguish such targets. Thus, it would not be possible with BGT60TR13C. 

Best Regards,

Honey 

0 Likes