BGT60TR13C

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
umbrellaP
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins First reply posted

how can i get the real and complex data using the matlab?
if it is unacceptable,please tell me how can I achieve it.
thank you very much ! 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @umbrellaP ,

Apologies for the confusion, but BGT60TR13C cannot provide complex data because:

BGT60TR13C device do not have an IQ demodulator. It only has an inphase demodulator controlled by the common VCO, via the SPI we can only receive the real ADC samples. Therefore, we can only receive the real baseband using SPI.

As BGT60TR13C MMIC receiver, the received IF signal is not an output of IQ demodulation but only an In phase mixer. It has no Q part, but is composed of a number of frequencies. A fourier transform gives us the In phase and Quadrature contributions to each frequency component. The progression of each complex frequency component over time (chirp-to-chirp) can be treated as an IQ signal for each frequency component.

Please note that BGT60LTR11AIP is a doppler based Radar board whereas BGT60TR13C is an FMCW based Radar board. BGT60LTR11AIP MMIC itself is capable of providing both real and complex components of the signal whereas, in the case of BGT60TR13C MMIC, it'll only be able to provide the real component only.  Also, do note that due to the inherent difference in algorithms in the two MMIC's there is difference in their capabilities and parameters as well. 

Hope this is clear

Best Regards,
Honey

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Honey_D

Hello @umbrellaP ,

The BGT60TR13C radar MMIC can only give one I (Real) baseband signal for each RX, and not I&Q for each channel.

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes

I saw in another question that through app_raw_data_c, I/Q data can be obtained, and Q is the complex data I want to obtain. I don't know if that answer is correct. If that answer is correct, how to get I/Q data by changing the code or API. Or, can I get his I/Q data through matlab?
The link to the question is:https://community.infineon.com/t5/Radar-sensor/What-is-the-maximum-detection-distance-of-DEMO-BGT60T...
thank you very much!

0 Likes
Honey_D

Hello @umbrellaP ,

Apologies for the confusion, but BGT60TR13C cannot provide complex data because:

BGT60TR13C device do not have an IQ demodulator. It only has an inphase demodulator controlled by the common VCO, via the SPI we can only receive the real ADC samples. Therefore, we can only receive the real baseband using SPI.

As BGT60TR13C MMIC receiver, the received IF signal is not an output of IQ demodulation but only an In phase mixer. It has no Q part, but is composed of a number of frequencies. A fourier transform gives us the In phase and Quadrature contributions to each frequency component. The progression of each complex frequency component over time (chirp-to-chirp) can be treated as an IQ signal for each frequency component.

Please note that BGT60LTR11AIP is a doppler based Radar board whereas BGT60TR13C is an FMCW based Radar board. BGT60LTR11AIP MMIC itself is capable of providing both real and complex components of the signal whereas, in the case of BGT60TR13C MMIC, it'll only be able to provide the real component only.  Also, do note that due to the inherent difference in algorithms in the two MMIC's there is difference in their capabilities and parameters as well. 

Hope this is clear

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes

Thank you so much for helping out !

but i have some other questions please answer

I originally wanted to use the radar device for vibration monitoring, but it may not be possible to continue this monitoring without extracting the original data. Do you have some other suggestions for radar usage?

In addition, would you please tell me which products of Infineon products support I/Q data detection and recording, and which equipment can support the acquisition of complex data? If so, can you tell me the specific model sample board? ? In addition, can this product be purchased within mainland China?

Thanks a lot for your help, again!

0 Likes
umbrellaP
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins First reply posted

Thank you so much for helping out
but i have some other questions please answer
I originally wanted to use the radar device for vibration monitoring, but it may not be possible to continue this monitoring without extracting the original data. Do you have some other suggestions for radar usage?
In addition, would you please tell me which products of Infineon products support I/Q data detection and recording, and which equipment can support the acquisition of complex data? If so, can you tell me the specific model sample board? ? In addition, can this product be purchased within mainland China?
Thanks a lot for your help, again!

0 Likes
Honey_D

Hello @umbrellaP ,

BGT60TR13C  can be used for vibration measurement. An object detected manifests itself via power on the received Range FFT. The Range bin containing the maximum absolute value tells us about the range window where the object lies relative to the radar MMIC surface. Observing the phase of the maximum value gives us information about the minor displacements in the position of the object relative to its' previous position. In real life scenarios, the noise on the Radar signal will limit the accuracy of this estimation but a vibration with magnitude of ~2mm can surely be measured.

For raw data acquisition you can refer to radar_sdk\radar_sdk\apps\c from RDK:https://softwaretools.infineon.com/tools/com.ifx.tb.tool.ifxradarsdk , which includes raw data acquisition application/ code for BGT60TR13C (raw_data) as well as BGT60LTR11AIP (raw_data_ltr11). For acquiring complex raw data you can use DEMO BGT60LTR11AIP: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/demo-bgt60ltr11aip/ 

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes

Sorry, the range of vibration detection I need is 0.3-0.5mm, so it seems that BGT60TR13C does not meet my requirements

In addition, is the complex data acquisition of the BGT60LTR11AIP radar directly provided in the sdk that I can use directly or do I need to modify the sdk to obtain the code for obtaining complex data?
Can I use this code to get complex in matlab or python?
At the same time, if I use BGT60LTR11AIP for vibration monitoring, how high is the accuracy?

best regards,
Honey

0 Likes
Honey_D

Hello @umbrellaP ,

• Direct code is available to record complex data.
  • Both (MATLAB & Python) can be used to get complex data
  • In terms accuracy as the board hasn't been tested for the application, we do not have any exact number, but for it should be able to detect as per your requirement

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes