BGT60TR13C radar maximum precision

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
walterwhite
Level 1
Level 1
5 likes given First like received 10 sign-ins

Hi,

What's the maximum precision we can achieve with the BGT60TR13C radar? Is this the same as range resolution (35mm)? We understand this as the minimum distance two objects would be in order to be distinguishable from each other.

Please confirm my understanding.

Thx, Walter.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @walterwhite 

• Range resolution formula is: delta_r = b*(c/2B) with b a factor between 1-1.5
    The factor b comes from the window function used, b=1 for no window however with windowing we gain better sidelobe rejection at the cost of mainlobe width, which influences the resolution. For literature reference this page and scroll down to ‘Comparison of windows’ section.
  • Accuracy (or precision) is a function of SNR (i.e. delta_r/sqrt(2*SNR)).
    So when you operate at high SNR, the Accuracy should be better than 35mm.

Hope that answers to your question.

Cheers,
Montassar.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @walterwhite ,

Range resolution is the ability of a radar system to distinguish between two or more targets on the same bearing but at different ranges. It is not similar to precision.

BGT60TR13C can provide up to 2.5 cm range resolution. There are different configuration settings available for range resolution as a short and long range, you can refer to the application note for details.

You can also go through our presence detection solution which provides micro and macro motion detection.

Best Regards,

Honey

Thank you @Honey_D for the quick reply!

How the range resolution is computed for the BGT60TR13C then? I can't find the exact formula.

Regards, Walter.

0 Likes

Hi @walterwhite 

• Range resolution formula is: delta_r = b*(c/2B) with b a factor between 1-1.5
    The factor b comes from the window function used, b=1 for no window however with windowing we gain better sidelobe rejection at the cost of mainlobe width, which influences the resolution. For literature reference this page and scroll down to ‘Comparison of windows’ section.
  • Accuracy (or precision) is a function of SNR (i.e. delta_r/sqrt(2*SNR)).
    So when you operate at high SNR, the Accuracy should be better than 35mm.

Hope that answers to your question.

Cheers,
Montassar.

Thanks @Montassar-BR! Crystal clear!

Regards, Walter.

0 Likes