BGT60TR13C Python Wrapper Raw Data

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
castato554
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi! 

I am new to using the Infineon Radar system and was playing around with the Matlab and Python wrappers. I was wondering what the raw data is that the radar is outputting via the Matlab/Python wrapper? Was also curious if you had any resources that better described these wrappers within the Software Development Kit? 

Secondly, I was curious if there would be a way to convert this raw data to a measurement of the phase angle? Thank you. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pugitha_N
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Hello @castato554,

1. Please navigate to the Python wrapper usage section of the Radar SDK documentation, which is located at C:\Infineon\Tools\Radar Development Kit\3.4.0.202304250920\assets\software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\doc. This documentation is provided as a local HTML webpage.

2. The raw data is comprised of samples of the real signal obtained from the antenna.

3. To better understand how angles are computed from raw data, please refer to the range-angle map example application located at C:\Infineon\Tools\Radar Development Kit\3.4.0.202304250920\assets\software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\apps\py\examples.

4. The function xensiv_bgt60trxx_get_fifo_data is intended for use with the presence detection application on KIT CSK BGT60TR13C, and is not applicable for Demo BGT60TR13C. For Demo BGT60TR13C, various code examples are provided in C, MATLAB, and Python to obtain range, velocity, and angles of a target from the radar, as part of the Radar Development Kit.

Best Regards,

Pugitha

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Pugitha_N

Hello @castato554,

If you want to learn how to use the Python wrapper/MATLAB wrapper, you can find guidance in the Radar SDK documentation situated within the radar SDK directory. 

In order to calculate angles, it is necessary to employ the Phase Monopulse algorithm. This algorithm entails comparing the signal phase of two Rx antennas and calculating the angle based on the resulting phase difference.

Best Regards,

Pugitha

0 Likes

Thank you Pugitha! 

Was curious is this wrapper description in the package once you download it (such as the in README file? Or is there a website resource?

I am still confused as to what the raw data within the sdk file directory is outputting from the radar as the descriptions don't seem to give an answer (in the presence detection settings as well as the raw data settings in c). 

Also, what settings for the wrapper should I use to specifically detect the phase angles (within the apps file directory versus using the wrapper, etc.)

Also, is the Phase Monopulse Algorithm available on the software/ tools catalog? I noticed another thread that mentions "you need to access the fifo data (xensiv_bgt60trxx_get_fifo_data) which contains the raw signal data, then process this data to find the phase difference and map this to angle". Was wondering where I could find this fifo data. Thanks!

0 Likes
Pugitha_N

Hello @castato554,

1. Please navigate to the Python wrapper usage section of the Radar SDK documentation, which is located at C:\Infineon\Tools\Radar Development Kit\3.4.0.202304250920\assets\software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\doc. This documentation is provided as a local HTML webpage.

2. The raw data is comprised of samples of the real signal obtained from the antenna.

3. To better understand how angles are computed from raw data, please refer to the range-angle map example application located at C:\Infineon\Tools\Radar Development Kit\3.4.0.202304250920\assets\software\radar_sdk\radar_sdk\apps\py\examples.

4. The function xensiv_bgt60trxx_get_fifo_data is intended for use with the presence detection application on KIT CSK BGT60TR13C, and is not applicable for Demo BGT60TR13C. For Demo BGT60TR13C, various code examples are provided in C, MATLAB, and Python to obtain range, velocity, and angles of a target from the radar, as part of the Radar Development Kit.

Best Regards,

Pugitha

Thank you! So to clarify from documentation regarding the raw data signal: 

The real signal is the FFT of the continuous wave signal and the absolute real values of this? So it is a measurement of the distance of the object from the radar in the frequency? I also found this resource in a FAQ's so was wanting clarification: 

"The BGT60TR13C has a frequency-modulated continuous wave (FMCW) radar. This periodically transmits a ramp function which is frequency-modulated.

The receiver constitutes only one in-phase mixer (no IQ, only I), and therefore produces a real intermediate frequency (IF) signal. The frequency components of this signal are directly proportional to the distances of the objects reflecting the radar transmission.

A Fourier transform can be performed on the received IF signal to get complex I and Q signals with phase information associated with each frequency component."

Thank you for the support. 

Katie

0 Likes
Pugitha_N

Hello @castato554,

For a single target in front of the radar, the IF signal produced is a constant frequency tone, with the frequency being determined by the distance of the target from the radar (d), the speed of light (c), and the slope of the chirp (S). 

IF(frequency)=2*S*d/c

The slope of the chirp is given by the rate of change of the bandwidth over the chirp duration, which can be calculated as S = B/Tc, where B represents the bandwidth in Hz and Tc is the duration of the chirp in seconds.

In FMCW radar, a continuous wave frequency modulated signal is transmitted, which means that the frequency of the signal changes in a controlled manner over time.

The receiver constitutes only one in-phase mixer (no IQ, only I), and therefore produces a real intermediate frequency (IF) signal. The frequency components of this signal are directly proportional to the distances of the objects reflecting the radar transmission? Yes, Q signal cannot be retrieved from BGT60TR13C because there is no IQ mixer available in the system. Only the real signal (I) can be obtained from this system.

A Fourier transform can be performed on the received IF signal to get complex I and Q signals with phase information associated with each frequency component? No, Extracting the Q signal or complex signal from BGT60TR13C is not possible. In radar, a complex signal is composed of both an in-phase (I) signal and a quadrature-phase (Q) signal, as we don't have Q signal. It is not possible to obtain complex signal. 

Best Regards,

Pugitha

0 Likes