BGT60LTR11AIP Sampling frequency

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
vrizziva
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

I am using the Python Wrapper with the BGT60LTR11AIP Doppler radar.

My question is, how do I change the ADC used and the sampling frequency? The default configuration uses the ADC from the radar with a 2 kHz sampling rate, and I want to change it to the ADC in the baseboard MCU7 so I can sample at higher sampling rates.

I changed the ltr11.py from adc=0 to adc=1 so it would use the ADC from the baseboard and increased the sampling rate as shown below,

def set_configuration(self,
mode=0,
pulse_width=0,
pulse_repetition=1,
hold_time=4,
detection_threshold=0,
tx_power_level=7,
rx_if_gain=8,
adc=1,
sampling_frequency=200000,
rf_center_freq=1):

However, it does not seem to be working as intended. What else needs to be done to achieve that?

Best regards,

Victor.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @vrizziva ,

It is possible to change the variable for ADC by doing few firmware changes. You may look into new radar development kit and Radar Fusion GUI which has been released last week and includes a firmware source code and supports BGT60LTR11AIP board

Best Regards,

Honey

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Honey_D

Hello @vrizziva 

Please follow the instructions below to change the sampling frequency of BGT60LTR11AIP using python wrapper set configuration:

set_configuration.PNG

1. The Python wrapper is running with the DEMO BGT60LTR11AIP board is configured on Pulsed mode, if not modify it accordingly:

mode.PNG
  2. The sampling frequency in pulsed mode configuration is dependent on the PRT value, based on the formula:       
     sampling_rate (Hz) = 1 / PRT (s).

The BGT60LTR11AIP offers the following PRT values: 250us, 500us, 1000us and 2000us, which leads to a 4000Hz as MAX sampling rate value. 

PRT_VALUES.PNG

Thus, the sampling frequency in BGT60LTR11AIP can be modified by changing the Pulse Repetition Time (PRT) values.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Honey

0 Likes
vrizziva
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Honey_D,

Thank you for your reply.

For my application, I want to use the continuous wave Doppler, not the pulsed Doppler. And I need a higher sampling rate (at least 80 kS/s), so I changed the ADC option to 0 (by doing that, the ADC used would be the ADC from the baseboard that has an Atmel microcontroller that can sample at high frequencies). (My setup is the radar BGT60LTR11AIP and the Infineon baseboard connected to a computer via USB)

My question is, how do I do that? If I change the variables using the ltr11.py and run it, it does not seem to work. (apparently, the variables are extracted from ltr11.dll. If that is the case, how do I change the ltr11.dll)

Best regards,

Victor.

0 Likes
Honey_D

Hello @vrizziva ,

It is possible to change the variable for ADC by doing few firmware changes. You may look into new radar development kit and Radar Fusion GUI which has been released last week and includes a firmware source code and supports BGT60LTR11AIP board

Best Regards,

Honey

0 Likes
vrizziva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Honey_D ,

I updated the firmware as you suggested. However, I was unable to configure the ADC or the sampling frequency.

Since I am planning on using a Raspberry Pi with the radar (connected to the baseboard), I am using the Python Wrapper that can be downloaded at: file:///C:/Infineon/Tools/Radar%20BGT60LTR11AIP/2.8.1.202111260850/index.html

In the Python Wrapper folder, the following files can be found:

vrizziva_0-1662998809327.png

The only thing I want to know is how to change the sampling frequency in the MCU board since it has an Atmel ATSAMS70Q21 that can sample at 1MS/s per channel. (Using the radar ADC the max I can sample is 4 kS/s)

In the ltr11.py, I can change the configuration as follows:

vrizziva_1-1662999222026.png

However, when I use print_config.py, it shows that the configuration setup did not change. 

Changing this configuration should be something straightforward. What am I missing?

Best regards,

Victor Gabriel R. Varela.

0 Likes
Montassar-BR
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 5 questions asked 250 sign-ins

Hi Victor,

Please download the Radar Development Kit v3.3, released last week, and is now supporting the BGT60LTR11AIP device. You can there find the Radar Baseboard MCU7 FW source code, where you can enable the ADC peripheral, and use it instead of the internal sensor ADC. Once installed, please refer to:

firmware-rbb7\Firmware\RadarBaseboardMCU7-sources.zip

An updated 60ltr11 Python-wrapper version is also available and is ready-to-use.

The current Radar BGT60LTR11AIP package is content is outdated, and will be soon archived.

BR,
Montassar.

0 Likes
vrizziva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Montassar-BR,

As you suggested in the post "BGT60LTR11AIP Sampling frequency", I downloaded the Radar Development Kit v3.3.

Can you please let me know the path and the name of the "Radar Baseboard MCU7 FW source code" to change the ADC option? I have been trying to find it. However, without success. (I downloaded the radar_sdk but there are so many folders and files that I don't know which one to use)

Best regards,

Victor.

0 Likes

Hi @vrizziva,

Changing to the MCU ADC peripheral, needs some development... it's not a simple change on the source code, since we are not really supporting it (but it's feasible).  All Radar Baseboard MCU7 firmware project source files are available under:

firmware-rbb7\Firmware\RadarBaseboardMCU7-sources.zip

Cheers,
Montassar.

0 Likes