BGT60LTR11AIP - Continuous wave mode configuration

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
vrizziva
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hi,

I have been trying to use the BGT60LTR11AIP in continuous wave mode using the example.py from the Python wrapper.

I tried to add: config_defaults.mode=0, which means I want the radar to run in continuous mode instead of pulsed mode.

However, I get an error in the line: frame, metadata = ltr11.get_next_frame(). (Since the default is the pulsed mode, the code is not ready to run CW mode)

Since there is no frame in the continuous wave mode, there should be another command instead of get_next_frame() to save the data in a variable. Can you tell me which command I should use?

Best regards,

Victor Varela.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pugitha_N
25 likes received 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hi @vrizziva,

Sorry for the delayed response!

Only the pulsed mode is supported by BGT60LTR11AIP.  Within the Python Wrapper available in the RDK, the sdk_doppler_ltr11.dll does not support officially setting the radar device in CW mode and it's only for test purpose, e.g., FCC, ETSI. Enabling CW can't be done by changing set_config function, a whole initialization sequence needs to be respected.

The BGT60LTR11AIP is supported in the RDK starting from v3.3.0 and above.
Keep an eye out for our future RDK releases.

Can you please let us know your need for switching to continuous mode?

Best Regards,

Pugitha.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Pugitha_N

Hello @vrizziva,

Call the following function ltr11.set_configuration( mode = 0) in example.py file before calling the get_configuration() function for switching the radar mode to continuous wave.

Thanks and regards,

Pugitha

0 Likes
vrizziva
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hi, 

I already changed the mode. That was not my question. (I also never mentioned to be using the get_configuration() command, maybe we are looking at different versions)

My question was regarding the ltr11.get_next_frame() command.

When I change the mode to CW, I get an error in this command, whereas, for the pulsed mode, it works.

The error I get is: "device could not acquire a complete time domain data frame within the expected time (IFX_ERROR_TIMEOUT)" 

So my question was: Since the ltr11.get_next_frame() is not working, is there a different command to save the acquisition data into a variable for the CW mode? (ltr11.get_next_frame() = gets the data contained in the next frame)

To make it easy, I am copying my code below:

from ifxDopplerLTR11 import DopplerLTR11
import numpy as np

print ("Radar SDK Version: " + DopplerLTR11.get_version_full())number_frames = 100

with DopplerLTR11.DopplerLTR11() as ltr11:
# set device config
config_defaults = ltr11.get_config_defaults()
config_defaults.mode=0 # CW = 0 , 1 = Pulsed
samples_frame = config_defaults.num_of_samples # samples per frame
frome = np.zeros((samples_frame,number_frames),dtype = complex) # matrix of zeros to store the values of all samples in all frames
config_defaults.prt=0 # change the sampling rate here 0 = 4KHz, 1 = default = 2KHz

print("Configuration limits", ltr11.get_limits())
ltr11.set_config(config_defaults)
print("Power for current set configuration: ", ltr11.get_active_mode_power(config_defaults))
print("Current Sampling frequency in Hz: ", ltr11.get_sampling_frequency(config_defaults.to_dict()["prt"])) #########

ltr11.start_acquisition()
print("acquisition started")

# A loop for fetching a finite number of frames comes next..
for frame_number in range(number_frames):
frame, metadata = ltr11.get_next_frame()
frame2[:,frame_number] = frame
metadata_dict = metadata.to_dict()
#print("Chip power mode: ", "active mode " if metadata_dict['active'] else "low power mode")
#print("Target Detected" if (metadata_dict['motion'] == 0) else "No Target Detected")
if metadata_dict['motion'] == 0:
print("Approaching " if metadata_dict['direction'] else " Departing")
#print("Average Power Consumption is equal to: ", metadata_dict['avg_power'])

ltr11.stop_acquisition()

If this line -> "config_defaults.mode=0 # CW = 0 , 1 = Pulsed" Is removed, the code works

0 Likes
Pugitha_N

Hi @vrizziva,

Sorry for the delayed response!

Only the pulsed mode is supported by BGT60LTR11AIP.  Within the Python Wrapper available in the RDK, the sdk_doppler_ltr11.dll does not support officially setting the radar device in CW mode and it's only for test purpose, e.g., FCC, ETSI. Enabling CW can't be done by changing set_config function, a whole initialization sequence needs to be respected.

The BGT60LTR11AIP is supported in the RDK starting from v3.3.0 and above.
Keep an eye out for our future RDK releases.

Can you please let us know your need for switching to continuous mode?

Best Regards,

Pugitha.

0 Likes
Pugitha_N

Hello @vrizziva,

Hope your query is resolved.

We are closing this thread due to inactivity. Please create a new thread for further queries.

Best Regards,

Pugitha.

0 Likes