24G Radar application with TC3x's RIF

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
koala
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes given 50 replies posted 5 likes given

Any recommended 24G Radar MMIC to pair with TC3x's RIF for external ADC use-case?
If a single 24G Radar MMIC is not available, then any recommendations on separate components like external RAMP generator (PLL not necessary, we only need good linearity, but not frequency accuracy) and external ADC for fast ramp of FMCW chirp sequence?

koala_0-1696993256855.png

For internal ADC use-case, what is this 24GHz "Radar front end" the designer had in mind when drawing this picture?
What is this signal that connects to HSIC module? Why is it needed? And what benefit can it provide?
And is there any low-pass-filter reference design that filters DAC (HSPDM) signal into clean Ramp signal for VCO control?

koala_0-1696994690176.png

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
1 Solution
tt3
Employee
Employee
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins First like received

Hi @koala ,

let me start with your last question first (low-pass-filter for HSPDM) :

• As a basic recommendation for the LPF, we consider 1st order RC filter. However, based on the application requirements (e.g. filter roll-off, stopband attenuation, and output driving capability) an 2nd-order active filter can be used. As an example, a Sallen-Key Butterworth LPF can be recommended.

Regarding HSIC:

• This is the High Speed Input Capture. It is supposed to be used to measure the down scaled VCO frequency (hence the divider symbol) which could be useful to fine tune the HSPDM signal. HSIC is part of the QSPI module, please see TC3xx user manual chapter 34 for more information.

Regarding the front end,

• I cannot tell you if the author had any specific chip in mind. Infineon offers a number of 24GHz front end chips, please see this list.

Best regards,

Thomas

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @koala ,

Please refer to the Sensor selection guide  and pocket guide for various radar sensors available in the market. Can you please let us know the source of the image you are referring to. Can you elaborate more on the application you are trying to build so as to suggest you a suitable device? Meanwhile, you can also refer to: https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Radar-basics-FAQs-KBA237673/ta-p/443721 for some basic clarification 

Hope this help!

Best regards,
Honey

0 Likes
koala
Level 4
Level 4

It is from AURIXTC3XX_um_part1_v2.0, Figure 286 & 293.

Our application is traffic monitoring using 24GHz radar.

I couldn't find answers from the linked documents, could you please provide direct answers to the questions. Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
koala
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, Infineon Radar/Aurix experts, please help.

0 Likes
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @koala ,

Apologies for the delay in responses, we are discussing with the team here. I will get back to you as soon as possible 

Thank you for your patience

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes
tt3
Employee
Employee
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins First like received

Hi @koala ,

let me start with your last question first (low-pass-filter for HSPDM) :

• As a basic recommendation for the LPF, we consider 1st order RC filter. However, based on the application requirements (e.g. filter roll-off, stopband attenuation, and output driving capability) an 2nd-order active filter can be used. As an example, a Sallen-Key Butterworth LPF can be recommended.

Regarding HSIC:

• This is the High Speed Input Capture. It is supposed to be used to measure the down scaled VCO frequency (hence the divider symbol) which could be useful to fine tune the HSPDM signal. HSIC is part of the QSPI module, please see TC3xx user manual chapter 34 for more information.

Regarding the front end,

• I cannot tell you if the author had any specific chip in mind. Infineon offers a number of 24GHz front end chips, please see this list.

Best regards,

Thomas