PIN diode layout

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
pietrodcs
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Good morning

I need to build a switcher up to 6GHz. Using the PIN diodes. I understand what to do in terms of schematic, but when I try to 
layout the components the PCB itself is never capable of reaching the frequency range. The problem is there is always a node
very populated of converging footprints and the capacitance increases too much. I have tool to simulate the PCB, and no solution is coming. A 'normal' layout with all of the PIN Diodes concentrated in a big spot reaches no more the 1 GHz. So I need a suggestion for a working layout.
A switcher out of the shelf does not work, I need to switch more power.

Thank You

Pietro 

0 Likes
1 Solution
George_T
50 likes received First question asked 250 replies posted

Hi @pietrodcs,

I am really sorry for the delayed response.

From what I can understand, the suggested board is working as mentioned to the specified range.

For a different frequency range the board needs to be re-designed. As already mentioned the shared application note can be used as reference. Please also consider the PCB materials used.  I would recommend to use the simulation models available for design simulations.

Thanks and regards,

George

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
George_T

Hi @pietrodcs,

Please refer to the Application Note on Pin diodes as a starting point. Please refer to Design Support section to access the simulation models of Pin diodes.

Please share more details to understand the problem better.

Thanks and regards,

George

0 Likes
pietrodcs
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi George

Thank You for coming to me ...
I drop here an image on the web, for an 8 switch. This layout claims to work for 1 GHz.
I have tested this solution for 1 GHz and it works.

pietrodcs_0-1681210057193.png

But Not beyond the 1.5 GHz. My problem is to find an arrangement to convey the common point of the PIN Diodes granting the frequency range up to 6 GHz. Here the center spot is too much for such frequency. Is there a solution?

That's the point

Thank You

Pietro

0 Likes
George_T

Hi @pietrodcs,

I am really sorry for the delayed response.

From what I can understand, the suggested board is working as mentioned to the specified range.

For a different frequency range the board needs to be re-designed. As already mentioned the shared application note can be used as reference. Please also consider the PCB materials used.  I would recommend to use the simulation models available for design simulations.

Thanks and regards,

George

0 Likes