USB 3 host port out of resource

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a system using a variable number of Cypress FX2 devices to control data acquisition. The host system can be either windows 7 or 8. Each FX2 has three open pipes when in use. When I connect to a USB 2.0 host port I can connect a large number of units in various combinations of hubs and devices without any problem.

When I connect to a USB3 host port I get an "out of resource" message from the win 8 system or a "code 10 error" with win 7 when I connect in excess of 13 units (29 pipes) in any combination of hubs and units. All hubs and units are self powered.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is this issue is happening in all PCs(all host controllers)?

Is there any interrupt end point or ISOC endpoint in the alternate interface 0 in your application?

did the devices(all) enumerate when you were getting this error?

Regards,

Vikas

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried this on a number of PCs using windows 7 and 8, both 32 bit and 64 bit systems. All the units enumerate correctly up to and including the 13th. I only have bulk transfer end points and the default control end point set up on the FX2

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Can you share the project and the way that you are connecting the device.(block diagram) and the details about the HUB

What is the tier level of HUB (farthest from the PC) that you are using to conect 13 devices?

Regards,

Vikas.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick response. I attach a basic sketch showing the layout. This has 14 units. If I remove any unit I do not get problems, but with 14 or more I get the out of resource error.

If I plug the systems into usb2 ports on the host PC I can have more than 13 units working succesfully.

Any more questions I will respond as fast as I can.

Thanks

Jon

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

error code 10 might be an driver issue.Please refer the link and try the steps mentioned in http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-10-error.htm.

If the issue is not solved try with the new drivers provided withe FX2LP DVK in the link http://www.cypress.com/?rID=14321Installl the DVK and bind with the new drivers available in the path "C:\Cypress\USB\CY3684_EZ-USB_FX2LP_DVK\1.1\Drivers".

In windows 8.1 whenever you connect the 14th device capture a USB trace during enumeration and share it.

Regards,

Vikas

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have explored the "code 10" suggestions with no success. I have also downloaded the FX2 support kit and used the driver supplied there after changing the inf file to match my VID and PID. I still get the same error.

Unfortunately I do not have the means to record USB traces.

I still suspect that this problem is in the host usb root hub driver, not the driver as installed from the FX2 kit. The driver I use normally is a modified Microsoft example and this has been in use for a long time. Using the Cypress driver in place of this and getting the same error tends to confirm that the problem is further along the driver chain..

Any more suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Jon

0 Likes