VCI pin on TLF35584

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Edgar_22
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First like given First question asked

Regarding to TLF35584, can I monitor core supply(external source) from VCI even if I short SEC pin to ground?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Edgar, 

I understand that you are not using an external power supply. 
In this case, you should use internal "LDO_uC" for the uC power supply. This has UV and OV monitoring internally as below and you can keep VCI pin open.

Vishnu_Nambrath_0-1658499146144.png

VCI pin is recommended to use only when uC supply is with an external regulator. 

Is it clear? If not, please feel free to comment. 

Regards 
Vishnu N

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Vishnu_Nambrath
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello, 

Sorry I am not able to understand your use case. 
As per your comment, you have an external core supply. In this case, you should keep the SEC pin open and you have the monitoring at VCI. 

Diagram for the external core supply is given below. Monitoring via VCI pin and SEC is kept open. 
Vishnu_Nambrath_0-1658404121613.png

If you short the SEC pin, then internal LDO_uC should be used as core supply and no external core supply is needed. 

Please provide more details about your use case. 

Regards 
Vishnu N

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

According to the figure you posted, I should leave VCI open and short SEC to ground if external core supply is not used. 

But I wonder if VCOREOV or VCOREUV in monitor register are able to detect over/under voltage input from VCI even if I short SEC to ground.

attempt to use core supply monitor function to monitor external source connected to VCI, and SEC is shorted to ground(external core supply is not used).

BR,

Edgar_22

0 Likes

Hello Edgar, 

I understand that you are not using an external power supply. 
In this case, you should use internal "LDO_uC" for the uC power supply. This has UV and OV monitoring internally as below and you can keep VCI pin open.

Vishnu_Nambrath_0-1658499146144.png

VCI pin is recommended to use only when uC supply is with an external regulator. 

Is it clear? If not, please feel free to comment. 

Regards 
Vishnu N

0 Likes