The distance of REFWLCTX15WC1

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MS_19060803
Level 6
Level 6
Distributor - TED (Japan)
25 likes received 25 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hi all,

We assume the distance between the transmitting coil and receiving coil is from 50mm to 1000mm.

Could you please tell me if there is a way to transmit this distance with high efficiency on the evaluation board(REFWLCTX15WC1)?

Please let me know too if it is possible to achieve the high efficiency by changing the coil shape, etc.

I think that it is difficult to transmit over a long distance since Qi is an electromagnetic induction method, but I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice.

Best regards,
MS

0 Likes
1 Solution
Kanahaiya_K
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hi @MS_19060803 ,

Yes, you have correctly noticed that the Infineon’s wireless charging ICs  WLC1115 is  based on the Qi v1.3.2 system solution.The principle behind the operation of WLC1115 is Electromagnetic induction.So,it will be very diifcult to transfer the power over long distances.The increase in distance will lead to poor coupling between Tx and Rx coils which results in lower flux and hence less efficiency.

Please take a note that REFWLCTX15WC1  has a typical active charging area +/- 10 mm.Moving away from these distance may affect the actual behaviour of the device.

Regards,
Kanahaiya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Kanahaiya_K
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hi @MS_19060803 ,

Yes, you have correctly noticed that the Infineon’s wireless charging ICs  WLC1115 is  based on the Qi v1.3.2 system solution.The principle behind the operation of WLC1115 is Electromagnetic induction.So,it will be very diifcult to transfer the power over long distances.The increase in distance will lead to poor coupling between Tx and Rx coils which results in lower flux and hence less efficiency.

Please take a note that REFWLCTX15WC1  has a typical active charging area +/- 10 mm.Moving away from these distance may affect the actual behaviour of the device.

Regards,
Kanahaiya

0 Likes
MS_19060803
Level 6
Level 6
Distributor - TED (Japan)
25 likes received 25 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hi Kanahaiya-san,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Best regards,
MS