Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
xiaoxuan
Level 3
Level 3
50 sign-ins 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

HI,

TLF35584 NORMAL-state  ->SLEEP-state  Conversion failure (what is the reason?)

WAK is a low level and ENA has no level change

I configured the DEVCFG0 and DEVCFG02 registers

xiaoxuan_0-1680076653546.png

xiaoxuan_1-1680076694232.png

Below is the current (79m <100mA)

xiaoxuan_2-1680076947995.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
Albab_A
5 likes given 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hello,

1. Setting the STDBY bit in the OTWRNSF register to 1 will not solve the problem of an over-temperature warning or shutdown condition. In fact, setting the STDBY bit manually is not recommended as it is intended to be set automatically by the TLF35584 when an over-temperature warning or shutdown condition is detected.

If your TLF35584 is experiencing an over-temperature warning or shutdown      condition, there are several things that can be done to address the issue. Some possible solutions include:

• Reduce the thermal load on the device: If the TLF35584 is experiencing an over-temperature condition, it may be due to excessive heat generated by other components in the system. In this case, reducing the thermal load on the TLF35584 by reducing the load on other components or improving the cooling system may help to address the issue.
  • Increase the airflow around the TLF35584: Increasing the airflow around the TLF35584 may help to dissipate heat more effectively and prevent the device from reaching an over-temperature condition.
  1. To fix the PREGUV flag in the TLF35584 PMIC, you will need to take the following steps:
  • Identify the cause of the undervoltage condition: The first step is to identify the root cause of the undervoltage condition. This could be caused by a faulty power supply, an overload on the power supply, or a short circuit in the system. You can use a multimeter or other test equipment to help you identify the source of the issue.
  • Check the power supply: If the undervoltage condition is caused by a faulty power supply, you will need to check the power supply and associated components for defects. This could involve checking the voltage output of the power supply, checking for any damage or defects in the power supply or associated components, and possibly replacing faulty components.
  • Check for shorts or overloads: If the undervoltage condition is caused by a short circuit or overload in the system, you will need to identify the source of the issue and take appropriate measures to resolve it. This could involve checking for any short circuits or overloads in the system, identifying the source of the overload or short circuit, and taking steps to prevent further issues.

1. If the current threshold you set is 100mA, but the power supply current of your controller is only 79mA, it is possible that there is an issue with the current sensing circuitry or the load on the power supply circuitry is fluctuating, causing the current to momentarily exceed the set threshold.

Best Regards,

Albab

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
Albab_A

Hello Xiaoxuan,

The possible cause of failure during transition from NORMAL STATE to SLEEP STATE may includes-

1. Wrong configuration of DEVCFG0 and DEVCFG02 registers

2. Transition delay time needs to be configured or we can use the default value as well. If the LDO_µC current monitor is enabled the µC current out of pin QUC is not below the LDO_µC monitoring threshold ILDO_µC, within the configured maximum transition time ttr,del in DEVCFG0.TRDE

3. Detection of a valid  WAK(level) or ENA(edge) during transition.

As you mentioned none of the above case is happening here, then I would request you to please share the value stored in the IF register, so that we are able to trace the fault based on the bits set in the register.

Best Regards,

Albab

0 Likes

HI,

The IF register has the value 0x99

0 Likes
Albab_A

Hello,

As your IF register has 0x99 value this means the bits set in the IF register will be INTMISS,OTW,MON,SYS as per the attached image.

Now there might be many possibility for error in transition from Normal ---> Sleep. Based upon the bits set, I have to investigate further, for that you have to proceed with the following.

1. Your Second step for analysis should be whether the interrupt service was not in time as INTMISS=1

2. Read OTWRNSF register as OTW=1  

3. Read MONSFX  (X=0,1,2,3) register as MON=1

4. Read SYSSF register as  SYS=1

After confirming these register values we can reach a reasonable conclusion what is the error in the transition.

reg.PNG

Best Regards,

Albab

0 Likes

HI,

Thank you very much for your reply

I look again at the value of the IF register, IF = 0x9A

1. What causes (INTMISS=1)?

2.OTWRNSF = 0x04

3.MONSF0 = 0x00   MONSF1 = 0x00   MONSF2 = 0x01   MONSF3 = 0x00

4.WKSF = 0x04

Looking forward to your reply

0 Likes
Albab_A

Hello,

1. It is set when Interrupt has not been serviced within tINT,TO time.
  2. As OTWRNSF= 0x04 so this means STDBY bit is set so overcurrent warning of QSTB. It indicates that the device is in a standby mode due to an over-temperature warning or shutdown condition. When the STDBY bit is set, the TLF35584 will enter a low-power standby mode and stop any active processing. The device will remain in this state until the over-temperature condition has been resolved and the device is reset or restarted.
  3. As MONSF2=0x01, so there must be an undervoltage detection at pre-regulator stage.
  4. As WKSF=0x04 this means WKSF_CMON=1, so this means TLF has been woken up by increased current consumption (>threshold) on QUC

These can be the possible cause of error during transition from NORMAL to SLEEP.

Can you please share the MONSF3 value?

Best Regards,

Albab

0 Likes

HI,

1.What can I do to resolve this situation?

2.Does setting STDBY equal to 1 before the state transition solve this problem? If not, is there any solution?

3.Undervoltage detection must be performed at the pre-voltage regulator stage. Does it mean an undervoltage check before initialization?

4.The current threshold I set is equal to 100mA, but the power supply current of my controller is only 79mA. Why(WKSF_CMON=1)?

5. MONSF3 = 0x00

0 Likes
Albab_A

Hello,

1. Setting the STDBY bit in the OTWRNSF register to 1 will not solve the problem of an over-temperature warning or shutdown condition. In fact, setting the STDBY bit manually is not recommended as it is intended to be set automatically by the TLF35584 when an over-temperature warning or shutdown condition is detected.

If your TLF35584 is experiencing an over-temperature warning or shutdown      condition, there are several things that can be done to address the issue. Some possible solutions include:

• Reduce the thermal load on the device: If the TLF35584 is experiencing an over-temperature condition, it may be due to excessive heat generated by other components in the system. In this case, reducing the thermal load on the TLF35584 by reducing the load on other components or improving the cooling system may help to address the issue.
  • Increase the airflow around the TLF35584: Increasing the airflow around the TLF35584 may help to dissipate heat more effectively and prevent the device from reaching an over-temperature condition.
  1. To fix the PREGUV flag in the TLF35584 PMIC, you will need to take the following steps:
  • Identify the cause of the undervoltage condition: The first step is to identify the root cause of the undervoltage condition. This could be caused by a faulty power supply, an overload on the power supply, or a short circuit in the system. You can use a multimeter or other test equipment to help you identify the source of the issue.
  • Check the power supply: If the undervoltage condition is caused by a faulty power supply, you will need to check the power supply and associated components for defects. This could involve checking the voltage output of the power supply, checking for any damage or defects in the power supply or associated components, and possibly replacing faulty components.
  • Check for shorts or overloads: If the undervoltage condition is caused by a short circuit or overload in the system, you will need to identify the source of the issue and take appropriate measures to resolve it. This could involve checking for any short circuits or overloads in the system, identifying the source of the overload or short circuit, and taking steps to prevent further issues.

1. If the current threshold you set is 100mA, but the power supply current of your controller is only 79mA, it is possible that there is an issue with the current sensing circuitry or the load on the power supply circuitry is fluctuating, causing the current to momentarily exceed the set threshold.

Best Regards,

Albab

0 Likes

HI,

Thank you very much for your reply

1.About the case of MONSF2=0x01, is it because FRE is connected to GDD and STU is connected to GND?

xiaoxuan_0-1681118942877.png

2. During the transition from normal state to sleep state, the power supply current of the controller is kept at 79mA without any change in the intermediate current.

(My current practice is to change the controller's 12V/0.144mA to 32V/0.079mA)

I would like to know what the specific meaning of the 100mA threshold condition is.

xiaoxuan_2-1681119978696.pngxiaoxuan_1-1681119450615.png

0 Likes
Albab_A

Hello,

1. FRE is the Frequency adjustment pin which is connected to ground for low frequency range (400 kHz) or leave open for high frequency (2.2 MHz) operation. STU is the Configuration pin for step-up converter, with Boost: leave open without Boost: connected to GND
  2. In CTHR field of DEVCFG2 register depending upon the bits there 00,01,10,11 the value for threshold of QUC current monitoring will be 10mA, 30mA, 60mA, 100mA respectively. It is to be noted that 3:2 are the bits from 2 to3

Best Regards,

Albab

0 Likes

HI,

1、I'd like to ask that I didn't set the MCU to low power mode, just set the controller's power current to 79mA. Does this satisfy the 100mA condition of the current monitoring threshold, or does the MCU have to enter low power mode?

2.Does the drop in LDO_us current in the figure below require a descending process? The power supply current of my controller is 79mA at one point. Is that OK? Or should the power supply current of the controller be greater than 100mA when it is powered on, and then reduce the power supply current of the controller to 79mA during the sleep conversion?

xiaoxuan_0-1681191866819.png

0 Likes

HI,

1、I'd like to ask that I didn't set the MCU to low power mode, just set the controller's power current to 79mA. Does this satisfy the 100mA condition of the current monitoring threshold, or does the MCU have to enter low power mode?

2.Does the drop in LDO_us current in the figure below require a descending process? The power supply current of my controller is 79mA at one point. Is that OK? Or should the power supply current of the controller be greater than 100mA when it is powered on, and then reduce the power supply current of the controller to 79mA during the sleep conversion?

xiaoxuan_0-1681177132418.png

0 Likes
Albab_A

Hello,

You are measuring current from the supply side, can you please measure the QUC current at the 3.3/5V rail from QUC pin and then confirm whether it is under QUC current monitoring threshold value configured in DEVCFG2 register.

Best Regards,

Albab

0 Likes
Albab_A

Hello,

If you have no further query, shall I close the case?

Best Regards,

Albab

0 Likes

Hi

If I do not enable the current monitor, does it mean that it does not need to meet: the μC current output by pin QUC is not lower than the LDO_μC monitoring threshold ILDO_μC

0 Likes