TLE9012DQU for battery charging

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
severin9er
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins First question asked 10 sign-ins

Hi,

can I use this IC also for charging one or multiple Li-ion battery cells?
So if I would connect a 4.2V supply to one input, and connect a second input to my cell, the TLE9012DQU would try to balance the voltage levels between those two inputs and therefore charge the Li-ion-cell with up to 200mA, right?

Could I then also connect multiple balancing outputs in parallel to achieve a higher balancing and therefore a higher charging current (e.g. 2 outputs connected to the same cell => 400mA charging)?

Or is this IC just capable of monitoring the battery and the charging needs to be handled by a different chip?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello, 

The TLE9012DQU is designed for monitoring and balancing Li-Ion battery packs. The device can monitor the voltage of the connected cell during charging but charging is not possible. Charging needs to be handled by a different chip.

The two cases described here are not possible. The device can only discharge the connected cell and not charge.

Regards 
Vishnu N

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Vishnu_Nambrath
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello, 

I am verifying my understanding with PAE about this device. I shall come back to you once I have feedback from the PAE. 

Regards 
Vishnu N

0 Likes

Hello, 

The TLE9012DQU is designed for monitoring and balancing Li-Ion battery packs. The device can monitor the voltage of the connected cell during charging but charging is not possible. Charging needs to be handled by a different chip.

The two cases described here are not possible. The device can only discharge the connected cell and not charge.

Regards 
Vishnu N

0 Likes