Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
sukrankmt
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored First like given First reply posted

Hi, we are using the TLE7242 IC for Low-Side selonoid driver via 100mR shunt resistor. while drive the selonoid below the 400mA, we cant get the correct value for current feedbacks. Also cant detect the open load status and SPI fault messages OL or SG. While we add an external pull-down resistor to the POSX pin, these two problem was solved. 

Could you please inform me, is this additional pull-down resistor may cause any problem for long-term use?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anshika_G
50 likes received 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hello,

As the capacitor description says CESD, it is being used for Electro Static Discharge(ESD) protection. ESD protection is done to limit the voltage when an ESD event is present and then to protect the IC placed behind the ESD protection. The capacitor absorbs the ESD event that occur at the connector before they make their way further on to the PCB to potentially damage components.

If you have other ESD protection components in your design, then it's okay to not use CESD. Otherwise I would not recommend it . 

Best Regards,
Anshika

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anshika_G

Hello,

Apologies for the delay in response.  

There should not be any issue in using additional pull down resistor.

Best Regards,
Anshika
Anshika

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. 

If i remove the Cesd capacitor which is connected between POSx to GND, what issues can be occured?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hello,

As the capacitor description says CESD, it is being used for Electro Static Discharge(ESD) protection. ESD protection is done to limit the voltage when an ESD event is present and then to protect the IC placed behind the ESD protection. The capacitor absorbs the ESD event that occur at the connector before they make their way further on to the PCB to potentially damage components.

If you have other ESD protection components in your design, then it's okay to not use CESD. Otherwise I would not recommend it . 

Best Regards,
Anshika

sukrankmt_0-1698997740154.png

Hi Anshika,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes i have an aditional ESD cap at the out of the POSx as seen in the figure above. C1 is connected to the battery ground, C2 is connected to the Chase ground and both of them placed near to the connector input of PCB.  I want to replace C1 with the pull-down resistor for diagnostic measurements as i mentioned in the my first post. But C1 is recommended in the datasheet so cant be sure for remove it. 

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hello, 

Sorry for the delay in reply.
We recommend use of C1 to protect the device under ESD event. If there is proper ESD protection ,then it would be okay to not use 10nF capacitor. 

Best Regards,
Anshika