SoC to control an h-bridge

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
wph1995
Level 4
Level 4
100 sign-ins First like received 25 replies posted

Hello,

We are designing the controller of a peltier cell, I want to control the peltier cell using an h-bridge made with N-MOSFET, so I would like to know is there any very compact SoC for h-bridge control? I want to check the state of the MOSFETs, generate interrupts if there is a short circuit or when a MOSFET is damaged and I don't know if there is a SoC that can do that, I have used a TLE9879 but to control a brushless motor and they are really great and I would like to know if there is some SoC similar to TLE9879 but capable of driving an h-bridge made with N-MOS
I forgot, the h-bridge will control a peltier that works with 24VDC and 8.2A.

Thanks for the help

0 Likes
1 Solution
SuhasBobade
100 sign-ins 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

Placement of Gate resistor is optional.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SuhasBobade

Hi,

If the heat and cold side reversal are not needed then you can go with a Half-bridge configuration with PWM driving to vary the average current flowing through Peltier cell.

For this application, Half-Bridge Driver IC with Integrated Arm® Cortex® M0 (TLE985x) can be used. It has integrated short circuit protection.

Here MOSFET needs to select as per Peltier cell's requirement and connect externally.

Kindly feel free to write us back in case of any doubt.

Regards,

Suhas

0 Likes

I checked the chip you told me about and decided to buy the TLE9854QX, but I have two doubts, is there a way to calculate the value of the resistor in the Gate in the data sheet or is it not necessary to use a resistor between the IC pin and the gate of the MOSFET? I was looking for that information to know what the maximum output current of the MOSFET controller is or if a resistor is not necessary in the gate, but I do not understand that information very well in the data sheet.

Thanks for the help

0 Likes
SuhasBobade

Hi, 

The TLE9854QX is an adaptive MOSFET Driver with current driven gate control.  The integrated control algorithm adjusts the gate current according to the MOSFET gate charge and required switching times. More information you can read here (Point no 4 ). 

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Benefits-of-the-TLE985x-Bridge-Driver-ApplicationNotes-v01_00...  

Here I have one question for you.

What was the reason behind selecting H bridge driver if half bridge driver can serve the purpose?

kindly feel free to ask in case of any doubt.

Thanking you!  

0 Likes

I will be using the full h-bridge to control the polarity inversion of the peltier cell, that's why I chose the TLE9854QX.
So should I place a resistor that is capable of withstanding the gate current that I program?

0 Likes
SuhasBobade

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

Placement of Gate resistor is optional.

Thanks for the help

0 Likes
SuhasBobade

You are always welcome.

0 Likes