Problem with the Evaluation board EVAL_3K3W_BIDI_PSFB

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ashwani
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 replies posted

Hello 

Recently we have purchased the infineon Technologies 3300W 54V bi-directional phase-shift full-bridge (PSFB) evaluation board EVAL_3K3W_BIDI_PSFB.

EVAL_3K3W_BIDI_PSFB - Infineon Technologies

But there is some problem with the board and I don't know how to solve it

Load - BLDC motor 48 volt

Problem - The board output voltage is adjustable from 40 volt to 60 volt through GUI and in my application i require 48 volt so i set the output voltage 48 volt through GUI. In the no Load condition the board is giving the required output voltage but when i am connecting the load to board the output voltage suddenly drops to zero and converter shuts down and In the GUI it shows UV/OV protection.

I have checked the load and there is no short circuit in the load.

So please connect me to the designer of the board and help me to solve this problem and if something needs to be changed in the board then please give me support to do it.

Waiting for your response

Thanks and regards 

Ashwani Gautam

0 Likes
1 Solution
Meghana
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello Ashwani,

The problem you are observing is not because of the evaluation board but due to the type of load. It is common to encounter these faults when a motor is connected directly across the constant DC supply. I'm assuming that you are referring to single phase BLDC motor. In this case, if the stator winding is connected to a constant DC supply, the current saturates after a while and will reflect like a short circuit on output side.  

EVAL_3K3W_BIDI_PSFB is designed to provide constant DC output between 40V to 60V depending on the reference set and it is ideal to be used as power supply or in battery charging applications. BLDC motor requires a pulsating input which can be generated using a H bridge. Hence you will need to use additional driver circuit ahead of  EVAL_3K3W_BIDI_PSFB for using BLDC motor. 

Infineon has wide range of solutions suitable for BLDC motor drives which can be found in below link. 

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/applications/solutions/motor-control-and-drives/brushless-dc-motor/

Please have a look and let us know if you need further support related to this topic. 

Regards

Meghana R

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
AZIZ_HASSAN
50 likes received 5 likes given 250 sign-ins

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Infineon community.

We understand that you are facing some issue with the evaluation board and will try to rectify it.

Please check the following points with respect to your evaluation board.

1) Check dead time between the switches.

2) May I know whether you are using the board in current controlled mode or voltage controlled mode? Or you can provide us different parameter values which you have set to use your evaluation kit.

3) Check the output voltage ripple value( the output voltage is affected by changing load conditions. This problem is mainly due to ripple in output voltage which appears at twice the switching frequency component. At no load, the ripple is less however, it increases considerably at high load. If this problem exists, there is a high chance that the internal ADC may malfunction).

4) You can also check the same board with different load (less than 3300W) like resistor and see whether same problem persist or not.

5) Check you PWM and how much is your phase shift in loaded condition. It might happen that for same output voltage of 48V and output power , if PWM is not proper then it will draw more current resulting in peak current saturation fault.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes

Hi,

May I know the status of the problem.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes
Meghana
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello Ashwani,

The problem you are observing is not because of the evaluation board but due to the type of load. It is common to encounter these faults when a motor is connected directly across the constant DC supply. I'm assuming that you are referring to single phase BLDC motor. In this case, if the stator winding is connected to a constant DC supply, the current saturates after a while and will reflect like a short circuit on output side.  

EVAL_3K3W_BIDI_PSFB is designed to provide constant DC output between 40V to 60V depending on the reference set and it is ideal to be used as power supply or in battery charging applications. BLDC motor requires a pulsating input which can be generated using a H bridge. Hence you will need to use additional driver circuit ahead of  EVAL_3K3W_BIDI_PSFB for using BLDC motor. 

Infineon has wide range of solutions suitable for BLDC motor drives which can be found in below link. 

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/applications/solutions/motor-control-and-drives/brushless-dc-motor/

Please have a look and let us know if you need further support related to this topic. 

Regards

Meghana R

0 Likes