PFC IC shutting down - ICE2PCS02GXUMA1

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
arun1979
Level 1
Level 1
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hello, I am using ICE2PCS02GXUMA1 in my PFC design where input power requirement is about 750-800W.

In my design, the PFC IC shuts down, once I cross about 525W at the input power. Once the load is reduced, the IC starts to operate again.

Schematic is attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, 

Arun

0 Likes
1 Solution

I checked your inductor documentation, It saturates at 4.5A, although at full power 120VAC (the US) input, you must have a current of about 9A. You check the current form on the shunt resistor by oscilloscope it will be like this in the article https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/83072/calculating-the-saturation-current-of-an-induc... .

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
cynic_bandera
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked 50 solutions authored 25 likes received

Inductors saturation, check it, please.

0 Likes

Hello Cynic, what is the best way to check the inductor saturation? Can you please advise. Thank you,

0 Likes

I checked your inductor documentation, It saturates at 4.5A, although at full power 120VAC (the US) input, you must have a current of about 9A. You check the current form on the shunt resistor by oscilloscope it will be like this in the article https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/83072/calculating-the-saturation-current-of-an-induc... .

0 Likes

Thank you sir, I noticed that as well and I have some higher current inductors on order that I'll test out. Do you have any recommendation on inductors for this type of design? Thank you again.

0 Likes

You check the curve inductance vs. current. We say roughly (because it may fall smoothly and it's not obvious) saturation starts when inductance drops by 10%. For example your inductor. 

cynic_bandera_0-1684134306478.png

You must choose an inductor with saturation current higher than abs max possible current including ripple at the worst condition at the lowest possible voltage (85VAC ?). Since you operate in CCM mode high frequency losses in magnetic are not important you can choose a core based on powder material (most optimal).

0 Likes
Guruprasad_A
25 likes received 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Hi @arun1979 ,

We appreciate your question being posted in the Infineon community.

The PFC IC ICE2PCS02GXUMA1 has a number of protection features. Since IC shuts down as the load rises, PCL may be triggering . Can you check the VSENSE pin voltage and the PCL pin voltage? Provide more details, such as input and output voltage and current.

Regards,

GA

0 Likes

Thank you GA,

I am also thinking that either SOC or PCL is kicking in.  Is the PCL latching on non-latching?

The input to the system is 120VAC that is rectified using bridge rectified and then fed to the PFC circuit. The output is configured to be 375V DC (HVDC). I need to get about 700-800W of output power from this design.

I checked the vin input and that remains over 1.5V. 

Vsense voltage drops as the PFC shuts down and then Vsense is only generated by rectified AC voltage.

While monitoring the Isense pin, I can see that this pin is going below ~ negative 1.25V. I tried to disable the PCL circuit by reducing the sense resistor and even connecting the Isense pin directly to PGND. The issue remained as is with the Isense pin connected to GND and reducing the sense resistor.

Is there a way to disable the SOC and PCL function of the IC?

Thank you,

Arun

0 Likes

Hi,

It appears like PCL is protecting your system.
evaluate the inductor. since the inductor is saturating. try to change the inductor value or part no. 

Regards,

GA