IRPS5401 programming

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Jim_Brady
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hello,

I am programming an IRPS5401 on a newly developed board, experimenting with a few 3-column .txt programming files, and have a couple of questions.

1. I am trying to program a chip that has already been programmed, and PowIRCenter software is telling me "Do not program devices which are regulating.  System may crash"  Which is fair enough.  But how can I turn OFF the PMIC from the utility so I can program it?  I do not see a way to do this.

2.  I noticed that I need to enter the I2C address when creating a programming file.  Please tell me why this is needed, and what significance this has - for example does the address in the programming file need to match the I2C address of the chip?

Am using PowIRCenter build 7832.

Thanks for the help,

Jim Brady

0 Likes
1 Solution
Nishanth
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello @Jim_Brady ,

It is possible to turn off individual Switchers by clicking on immediate off refer to the image below. Programming can be done after disabling the outputs.

Nishanth_0-1670466274005.jpeg

If you are using only I2C.Disable operation can be performed in the register map section. Click on the register that is needed to be written and perform the write operation from the read-write dialog box at the bottom of the image.

Nishanth_2-1670467140090.jpeg

Kindly Refer IRPS5401_Register_Map  and IRPS5401_PMBus_Command_Set  for programming.

Regards,

Nishanth

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Nishanth

Hello @Jim_Brady ,

Thank you for contributing to the Infineon community.

PowIRCenter is used during the initial programming of the part. It is not recommended to program part when it is regulating.
IRPS5401 can be programmed by doing some basic hardware settings and connections. Kindly refer to  Rocky Programming Guide for the step-by-step procedure of programming.

Yes, the address of the programming file needs to match the I2C address of the chip.

I2C address is needed for direct register read-write access.

Regards,

Nishanth

0 Likes
Nishanth ---
Thank you for help, and I will make sure I2C address in programming file matches the address of the IRPS5401 chip.
Regarding the need to turn OFF the IRPS5401 chip before programming, I would like to know if it is possible to turn OFF the chip from the GUI, so I can then program it?  I looked through the Programmer's Guide and do not see this discussed.
Thanks,
Jim
0 Likes
Nishanth

Hello @Jim_Brady ,

It is possible to turn off individual Switchers by clicking on immediate off refer to the image below. Programming can be done after disabling the outputs.

Nishanth_0-1670466274005.jpeg

If you are using only I2C.Disable operation can be performed in the register map section. Click on the register that is needed to be written and perform the write operation from the read-write dialog box at the bottom of the image.

Nishanth_2-1670467140090.jpeg

Kindly Refer IRPS5401_Register_Map  and IRPS5401_PMBus_Command_Set  for programming.

Regards,

Nishanth