IRPS5401 over current fault behavior

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Jim_Brady
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hello ---

I am using PowIRCenter Build 7832 to create programming files for an IRPS5401 PMIC.  I am using the "Design Wizard" and it has been working well.  But I am having trouble with the PMIC on my new board tripping the OC fault limit on startup sometimes.  So I want to change the OC fault limit behavior from immediate shutdown to "Hiccup 6 times, then shutdown".  I already have the current limit as high as I want it, and have taken into consideration startup current due to capacitance on the line.

The Design Wizard has no setting at all for this OC behavior.  So I looked at other abilities of the program, and under the tab "Design Tools" I see  "Faults and Protection:  Behavior or OCP, OVP, UVP".  But when I open this screen, there is no setting for OCP !  I have attached as screenshot of this screen.  So I have a couple of questions,

1.  Is the PowIRCenter program capable of setting this OC fault behavior?  If so, please tell me how to do it.

2. Otherwise, is there some other way I can set this OC fault behavior in the programming file?

Thanks for the help,

Jim Brady

0 Likes
1 Solution
Nishanth
100 solutions authored 10 likes given 100 replies posted

Hello @Jim_Brady ,

The steps you have followed are correct.

You will get a red "X" if the part is not connected but it will not have any effect on configuration file creation and it will also ask for User password when you are saving the configuration file.

Regards,

Nishanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Nishanth

Hello @Jim_Brady 

Thank you for contributing to the Infineon community.

Over-current fault behavior can be changed using the IOUT_OC_FAULT_RESPONSE command.

The 47 IOUT_OC_FAULT_RESPONSE command determines the action taken in response to an output overcurrent fault.

Nishanth_0-1677900422616.png

There are three possible actions that can be selected in response to an output overcurrent fault.

1. Shutdown
  2. Hiccup forever
  3. Hiccup 6 times and shutdown

There are two other commands related to Over Current.

• 4A IOUT_OC_WARN_LIMIT

For the switchers, the IOUT_OC_WARN_LIMIT command sets the threshold, in amperes, for the output overcurrent warning.

Nishanth_1-1677900741336.png

• 46 IOUT_OC_FAULT_LIMIT

The IOUT_OC_FAULT_LIMIT command sets the threshold, in amperes, for the overcurrent fault condition. For the LDO this is a READ ONLY command and will return the value of 0.72A.

Nishanth_2-1677900827491.png

Regards,

Nishanth

0 Likes

Nishanth ---

Thank you.  I realize that I can send a command to the PMIC to set this over current fault behavior.  However, I want to put this behavior into the programming file.  I am talking about the 3-column text file I load into OTP memory in the IRPS5401 PMIC.  So my question is, how can I used the PowIRCenter software to embed this behavior into this programming file?   I am also wondering if the licensed "Full" version of PowerIRCenter application has capabilities like setting overcurrent fault behavior that the "POL" version does not?  I am using the "POL" version.

Thank you for the help,

Jim Brady

0 Likes
Nishanth

Hello @Jim_Brady ,

You can change the OC_FAULT_LIMIT response behavior in POL mode.

As mentioned in an earlier comment Over-current fault behavior can be changed using the IOUT_OC_FAULT_RESPONSE command.

Once you change the behavior you can save the setting in a 3-column text file. This can be done by saving the configuration file as shown below from the design wizard.

Nishanth_0-1678263310613.png

IOUT_OC_FAULT_RESPONSE has an ADDR OFFSET of 0x08e and for 6 times hiccup and shutdown, the data is 0xF0.

PMBus registers are offset by 200h from the beginning of the channel and channel A begins at 0x400h.

For Example: 

Channel A begins from 0x400h.PMBus command registers starts at 0x600h (0x400h + 0x200h-due to 200h offset)

IOUT_OC_FAULT_RESPONSE is 0x8E offset from starting of the PMBus address (0x600 + 0x8E)

Hence, 0x68Eh  is the Address of the IOUT_OC_FAULT_RESPONSE for Switcher  A

Similarly, 0x0A8E for Switcher B

0X0E8E for Switcher C

0X128E for Switcher D

Now, if you change over-current fault behavior of all switchers to 6 times hiccup and shutdown using the IOUT_OC_FAULT_RESPONSE command and save the configuration file (3-column text file).

Then the register addresses (first column) 0x68Eh ,0x0A8E,  0X0E8E,  0X128E should have the 0xF0 data(second column).

Regards,

Nishanth

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Nishanth ---

I tried did what you suggested and it worked!  Thank you.  After writing the OC fault command, one for each channel, then saving the file, I checked at the 3-column text file and verified it contained the value for hiccup behavior.  Thank you.   

I had 2 unexpected things happen and would like to mention them to see if you have any thoughts.  I should also mention that I am using the software in "offline mode" - it is not connected to a PMIC.  Basically what I did (all in offline mode) is the following:

1. Start the software, select the IRPS5401 part, use the Wizard to set everything I want (except for the OC fault behavior) then create the initial 3-column text file.  This file has the OC behavior set to "shutdown" so it needs to be changed.  Then I restart the software, open the 3-column text file just created, send the 4 commands to set the desired OC hiccup behavior, one command for each channel, then I save the 3-column text file.

1. When I click the "Write" button to send the command, a red "X" appears next to the "Write" button.  See screenshot1.  Even though this "X" appears, it still works.  So this causes no  problem.  I am ignoring the "X"

2. When I click the "Save Config File" button to save the 3-column text file after doing the 4 writes, it asks me for a "User password" for register 0x3A.  See Screenshot2 attached.  I am not sure what this password is about, so I just leave it at the default of "0000", and it saves the file and causes no problems.  After connecting the PC to the board with the PMIC, I am easily able to program the 3-column text file to the PMIC chip. 

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on these two unexpected issues.  But the main thing is that setting it to hiccup behavior solves the problem I was having with the IRPS5401 PMIC tripping the OC fault on power-up.

Thanks,

Jim Brady

0 Likes
Nishanth

Hello @Jim_Brady ,

The steps you have followed are correct.

You will get a red "X" if the part is not connected but it will not have any effect on configuration file creation and it will also ask for User password when you are saving the configuration file.

Regards,

Nishanth

0 Likes

Nishanth ---

Thanks for the help and I am happy to have this working.

Jim Brady

0 Likes