Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
drudolf
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 questions asked 5 sign-ins

I am using two IR38063 to generate the .9V and .95V power rails for an Intel Arria 10 SX.

I am guessing (assumed from some examples, doesn't seem to be a spec on data sheet) that the default Vref for the IR38063 is 1.2V. It this correct? It seems that then you can't use the device in Analog mode below 1.2V? You have to digitally program the output if you want an output of .9 or .95V?

It seems like the tools provide minimal help in component selection as do other manufacturers' tools. Did I miss something or do all component values (Output Inductor/ Comp resistor/caps etc etc) have to be calculated manually? In the PowerIR Tools there is a "Inductor and Cin" page but the output voltage selection is .9V then 1.0V. Should I just assume that .95 is the same as .9V or is there another tool to use?
Attached is my .9V page based directly on Infineon example .95V schematic. .95V is identical.
Thanks,
Dan
0 Likes
1 Solution
Nishanth
100 solutions authored 10 likes given 100 replies posted

Hello Dan,

Thank you for contributing to the Infineon community.

The evaluation board of IRDC38063 comes with a Vref of 1.2V. Hence, we cannot achieve less than 1.2V output in the analog mode without any modification.

Part number IR38063 comes with a factory setting of Vref of 0.5V. Hence we can achieve 0.5V output voltage with this part.

There is an option where the Vref of  IRDC38063 can be set to default 0.5V. We have to program IRDC38063 to the factory default setting and remove the ADDR resistor in order to have Vref of 0.5V.

The schematic shared is for digital mode. You can operate in digital mode for 0.9V and 0.95V output.

You can calculate all component values using an Excel design tool. Kindly contact the local FAE in order to get the excel design tool.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you need further clarification on this topic. 

Regards,

Nishanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Nishanth

Hello Dan,

Thank you for contributing to the Infineon community.

The evaluation board of IRDC38063 comes with a Vref of 1.2V. Hence, we cannot achieve less than 1.2V output in the analog mode without any modification.

Part number IR38063 comes with a factory setting of Vref of 0.5V. Hence we can achieve 0.5V output voltage with this part.

There is an option where the Vref of  IRDC38063 can be set to default 0.5V. We have to program IRDC38063 to the factory default setting and remove the ADDR resistor in order to have Vref of 0.5V.

The schematic shared is for digital mode. You can operate in digital mode for 0.9V and 0.95V output.

You can calculate all component values using an Excel design tool. Kindly contact the local FAE in order to get the excel design tool.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you need further clarification on this topic. 

Regards,

Nishanth

0 Likes

Thanks Nishanth for the support. I did receive the spreadsheet which while somewhat helpful does leave quite a lot of component specifications up to the designer. I am going to assume the .95V reference design is a good starting point. Unfortunately my FAE seems to be too busy to respond to questions. I have asked a number of the last couple of months and gotten no real response.

So from the data sheet: "When the device comes out of reset, it initializes a multiple times programmable memory (MTP) load cycle, where the contents of the MTP are loaded into the working registers. Once the registers are loaded from MTP, the designer can use PMBus commands to re-configure the various parameters to suit the specific VR design requirements if desired, irrespective of the status of Enable." I get from this and your statements previously that there is a programmable memory to provide the startup defaults? I don't however see how one can program it. How do you go about programming it initially? I would really like to make sure the default is the first time I enable the device is that it puts out .9/.95 V not something else.

Thanks,
Dan

0 Likes
Nishanth

Hello Dan,

Kindly go through Introduction to GUI for digital POL  training. This will enable you to easily work on GUI and Design Wizard. Design wizard helps to program all the parameters and create a configuration file for your design.

Additionally, the resources below will help with installing the PowIRCentre software, a user guide for using the GUI step-by-step and programming the IR38063.

PowIRCenter Installation and User Guide, 

MANHATTAN PROGRAMMING GUIDE IR38060/IR38062/IR38063/IR38064.

IR38060/2/3/4 PMBUS COMMAND SET 

Regards,

Nishanth

0 Likes