ICE2PCS05 in PowerESim

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Serj
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hello

I am modelling ICE2PCS05 in PowerESim. I have trouble with frequency setup. The frequency is always about 65 kHz whatever I enter during initialization (I need 220 kHz). Because of this all components values computed for much smaller frequency than I need.  All other values  entered during initialization was accepted correctly. So what should I do to initialize circuit with 220 kHz?

Thank You.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Guruprasad_A
25 likes received 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Hi,
We appreciate your participation in the Infineon community.
According initialization page's comment, user need change the frequency setting resistor to adjust the operating frequency.
Resistor value attached to FRB2 pin should be modified. Refer pictures
Regards,
Guruprasad A

Select Resistor.pngReistor for frequency.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Guruprasad_A

Hi,
We appreciate your participation in the Infineon community.
According initialization page's comment, user need change the frequency setting resistor to adjust the operating frequency.
Resistor value attached to FRB2 pin should be modified. Refer pictures
Regards,
Guruprasad A

Select Resistor.pngReistor for frequency.png

0 Likes
Serj
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Thank You Guruprasad_A.

Changing resistor value had effect on PWM frequency. But I see that inductor value and compensation network didn't not changed with frequency.

Serj_1-1656680517768.png

Serj_3-1656680878654.png

I don't care about inductor value because I can calculate it by myself. But I can't calculate compensation network according to Design Guide for Boost Type CCM PFC with
ICE2PCSxx because it is sophisticated. For instance: there are calculations relied on PWM frequency, but in PowerEsim Ccomp is still same for any frequency.

Serj_0-1656680379804.png

So what should I do to force PowerEsim to recalculate inductor and compensation net values after frequency is changed?

0 Likes
Guruprasad_A

Hi @Serj ,

I apologise for the delayed reply.
For this IC, we don't have any other design tools.
Refer to the "Design Guide for Boost Type CCM PFC with
ICE2PCSxx " to calculate the compensation value. And verify in S - Z loop tool in PowerSim.

Regards,

Guruprasad A

0 Likes

Hello 

I understand that there are no another design tools. My question was: is it correct that after changing PWM frequency using resistor at Rfb pin, choke and compensation network values stay intact?

0 Likes
Guruprasad_A

Hi @Serj ,

Choke and compensation network values are calculated during initialization stage. It is necessary to manually modify the compensation network parameter after adjusting the PWM frequency with a resistor.

Regards,

Guruprasad A

0 Likes

Hello 

Please check my steps:

1. I press "New Design" button .

2. Press "Detail Spec" button.

3. In "Switching frequency" cell enter 220 kHz and press "Done"

Serj_0-1657535989727.png

4. Immediately after this, I see that frequency in popup windows are not same as I entered.

Serj_1-1657536229367.png

5. I change Rfreq value and I see that frequency has been changed but choke and compensation values hadn't.

Serj_2-1657536567141.png

So I conclude that PWM frequency have no effect on components values during initialization; and Rfreq have no effect on components after changing its value.

Are my steps correct?

0 Likes
Guruprasad_A

Hi @Serj ,

Sorry for the delayed response.

steps you followed are correct. Then you manually modify the inductor , compensation value and verify the result.  

Regards,

Guruprasad A

0 Likes

Hello 

It's onerously to calculate compensation net values by hand. Everybody who tried to do it according to "Design Guide for Boost Type CCM PFC with ICE2PCSxx" might agree with me. So I hope that PowerESim will fix this issue.

0 Likes