How to calculate Type III-A Compensator values for IR38165 DC-DC Buck Converter

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
monomial
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to find an example of calculating the values for a Type III-A Compensator for the IR38165 DC-DC Buck converter. Unfortunately, I can not find any information on this part. I have read AN-1162 that details how to do this for the IR3840, and while this all make sense, the transfer function for the IR38165 is different. I am unsure how to calculate it or what values to use in the feedback network.

The datasheet says that Infineon also has a design tool, but I downloaded software called DC-DC Designer and unfortunately it doesn't run on my computer. Task manager shows itb-launcher-service.exe has started, but it never opens a window or does anything. Since the datasheet provides zero information, I am well and completely stuck right now.

Does anyone know anything about this part?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

From your description, I can understand that you are looking for a simulator tool to simulate the compensator network for your application. 

Your understanding is correct, the AN that you have suggested can be used to design the compensator network. 

Please use the following online simulator tool, which is a platform used for carrying out the analysis for POL converters, 

SPICE simulator for POL converter.

The steps to obtain the bode plot are as explained below,

1) Click on the required model in the simulator (link provided above).

2) The passive component values as well as the operating conditions can be changed by clicking on the box ( after selecting the component whose value has to be changed) on the left side of the window which says " Please double click here to enter the design criteria". After clicking on that, a dialogue box appears which is used to change the regulator values as shown below,

Abhilash_P_1-1645450487588.png

2) Analysis > AC analysis > AC transfer characteristics. 

Abhilash_P_0-1645450305839.png

3) Once you get the results, click on Bode plot as shown below, 

Abhilash_P_2-1645450564744.png

Please share your specifications and the application circuit. Since the exact part is not available in the inbuilt models. Based on your specifications, I can suggest an alternate IC. 

At later point of time, if the mentioned IC IR38165 is mandatory for your application, then you can contact the local sales office / submit a request on TAC for getting the component model. 

Please do let me know if you face any issues while simulating. I can assist you. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

From your description, I can understand that you are looking for a simulator tool to simulate the compensator network for your application. 

Your understanding is correct, the AN that you have suggested can be used to design the compensator network. 

Please use the following online simulator tool, which is a platform used for carrying out the analysis for POL converters, 

SPICE simulator for POL converter.

The steps to obtain the bode plot are as explained below,

1) Click on the required model in the simulator (link provided above).

2) The passive component values as well as the operating conditions can be changed by clicking on the box ( after selecting the component whose value has to be changed) on the left side of the window which says " Please double click here to enter the design criteria". After clicking on that, a dialogue box appears which is used to change the regulator values as shown below,

Abhilash_P_1-1645450487588.png

2) Analysis > AC analysis > AC transfer characteristics. 

Abhilash_P_0-1645450305839.png

3) Once you get the results, click on Bode plot as shown below, 

Abhilash_P_2-1645450564744.png

Please share your specifications and the application circuit. Since the exact part is not available in the inbuilt models. Based on your specifications, I can suggest an alternate IC. 

At later point of time, if the mentioned IC IR38165 is mandatory for your application, then you can contact the local sales office / submit a request on TAC for getting the component model. 

Please do let me know if you face any issues while simulating. I can assist you. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes