DC-DC Topology for On Board Charger

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
vikasdwivedi
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hello,

We are developing a 3.3kW On Board Charger for Automotive domain. Our full requirement is as follows:

1. Application: Automotive grade ON Board Charger
  2. Power: 3.3kW
  3. Vin_ac = 90-270VAC
  4. Input Frequency = 47-63 Hz
  5. Vout_dc = 40-60VDC
  6. Nominal Vout_dc = 50.4VDC
  7. Max output current = 63A
  8. System Efficiency = >95% @ 180-270VAC, full load and >96% @ 230VAC, full load

We are looking at following DC-DC solutions:

1. https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/eval_3k3w_llc_hb_cfd7/
  2. https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/eval_3k3w_bidi_psfb/

First eval board is using half bridge LLC and the second one is using phase shift full bridge for the same rating of 3.3kW power. I have following queries:

1. Which one is best suited topology for our requirement?
  2. Does constant current and constant voltage modes are supported by the charger’s control loop?
  3. How controller adjusts the charger control loop? Will you provide the source code for the same?
  4. Please provide the design consideration documents to change the rating of the components.

Looking forward for your expert support.

Thanks and Regards,

Vikas Dwivedi

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello Vikas Dwivedi,

Thank you for your response.

Replying to your original questions:
3)Will you provide the source code?
Yes.
But please be aware that the source code was developed for the Microcontroller used on the board (XMC).
This μC is an INDUSTRIAL micro and the source code will require adaptations for other Automotive-grade microcontrollers.
The whole information (design files and source code) is available via the "Product Registration":
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/productregistration/
For this a serial number is needed which confirms that you have purchased the board.

4)Please provide a design consideration document to change the rating of the components.
Unfortunately we do not have such a document.
If modification is needed, and there is an order of Infineon products big enough to justify it, we could arrange a call with the designer of the board.

Now, for the PFC evaluation board:
1)How to add support for Input AC Voltage = 90-270VAC.
Major changes need to be made for this to happen.
For example, the MOSFETs would very likely need to be swapped for a higher Id part, or use two in parallel.
Another example is the control loop, which needs to be readjusted.
The main inductor needs to be changed for a higher current rated one.
The UVLO setting needs to be changed so that the microcontroller does not shut down.
Etc.
Instead of the SiC board, you could take a look at our GaN PFC board:
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/eval_2500w_pfc_gan_a/
It is only 2.5 kW, but it can work in both low and high lines.

2)How to add support for SAE J1772?
As mentioned before, these boards are not automotive qualified.
If SAE J1772 needs to be supported, I suggest going over the SAE standard:
https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j1772_201001/
In order to perform the Control Pilot and Proximity Pilot functions, the microcontroller's code needs to be changed accordingly, as well as adding a circuit as below:

Regarding the DC-DC:
1)As you said LLC has slightly higher efficiency so is there any way to make its output voltage range from 40V to 60V ? Do you have any design notes for the same?
The control algorithm needs to be customized and the specs of the components need to be revised to check for compatibility.
Unfortunately, we do not have said app note.
Again, if an order big enough is in place, a call with the board designer could be arranged to discuss customization.

2)How we can make PSFB unidirectional? What are the changes required to do so?
The control scheme needs to be changed from the basic switching pattern.

3)Do you have any reference design which supports battery charging profile i.e. Constant current and constant voltage? Please share the same if you have.
Yes, we do. The board below includes a PFC and a DC-DC stage, Vout is 40V to 60V, Vin is 90Vac to 265Vac, and it supports CC and CV charging modes.
The power, however, is limited to 1kW in low line and 2kW in high line.
If you wish to increase the power to 3.3kW, I suggest making your own board based on this evaluation board, as customizing it to fit 3.3kW is very unlikely to be possible.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/eval_2kw_48v_char_p7/
Please note that it is industrial qualified, not automotive.

Even if the power is quite lower than the target 3.3kW, I suggest using the eval_2kw_48v_char_p7 board, as it is a single board that supports all your requirements except the power.
From there, you could develop a higher-powered board with higher-rated components.

Best regards,

Pablo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Pablo_EG

Hello Vikas Dwivedi,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Community.

I apologize for the late reply.

We understand the requirements of your application, and the evaluation boards being considered.

Firstly, I would like to give you some comments:
-None of the evaluation boards are automotive qualified.
I am sorry to inform you that we currently do not have an on board charger evaluation board.
-The evaluation boards are DC to DC, therefore there is a need to add a rectifier and PFC stage, such as
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/eval_3k3w_tp_pfc_sic/

Regarding your questions:

1)Which one is best suited topology for our requirement?
Although the LLC has slightly higher efficiency, and you do not require the bidirectional function of the PSFB, the PSFB is the better choice.
The reason is that the LLC board's output voltage range is 43.5V to 59.5V, whereas the PSFB is 40V to 60V.
Therefore, only the PSFB fulfills your application requirements.

2)Does constant current and constant voltage modes are supported by the charger’s control loop?
Unfortunately, no.
In the case of battery charger applications, these DC/DC stages are meant to be used in conjunction with a CC/CV charger.

3)How controller adjusts the charger control loop? Will you provide the source code for the same?
The output voltage is sensed via a voltage divider (see page 36 of the PSFB app note) and this volatge is read by the controller's ADC.
The control loop's gain is preset.

Regarding the source code, I will get back to you as soon as I have confirmation.

4)Please provide the design consideration documents to change the rating of the components.
I will check internally and let you know if we can provide such document.

I apologize for the partial response and I will provide you the rest of the answers as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Pablo

0 Likes
vikasdwivedi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Pablo,

Thank you for detailed answer.

Suggested evaluation board for Rectifier and PFC looks good. I have some queries as follows:

1. How to add support for Input AC Voltage =  90-270VAC. Suggested Eval board  supports  176V-265VAC  only.
  2. How to add support for SAE J1772?

In DC-DC I have few queries as follows:

1. As you said LLC has slightly higher efficiency so is there any way to make its output voltage range from 40V to 60V ? Do you have any design note for the same?
  2. How we can make PSFB unidirectional? What are the changes required to do so?
  3. Do you have any reference design which supports battery charging profile i.e. Constant current and constant voltage? Please share the same if you have.
  4. Please response on the pending queries from your last reply.

Looking forward for your expert support.

Thanks and Regards,

Vikas Dwivedi

0 Likes
Pablo_EG

Hello Vikas Dwivedi,

Thank you for your response.

Replying to your original questions:
3)Will you provide the source code?
Yes.
But please be aware that the source code was developed for the Microcontroller used on the board (XMC).
This μC is an INDUSTRIAL micro and the source code will require adaptations for other Automotive-grade microcontrollers.
The whole information (design files and source code) is available via the "Product Registration":
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/productregistration/
For this a serial number is needed which confirms that you have purchased the board.

4)Please provide a design consideration document to change the rating of the components.
Unfortunately we do not have such a document.
If modification is needed, and there is an order of Infineon products big enough to justify it, we could arrange a call with the designer of the board.

Now, for the PFC evaluation board:
1)How to add support for Input AC Voltage = 90-270VAC.
Major changes need to be made for this to happen.
For example, the MOSFETs would very likely need to be swapped for a higher Id part, or use two in parallel.
Another example is the control loop, which needs to be readjusted.
The main inductor needs to be changed for a higher current rated one.
The UVLO setting needs to be changed so that the microcontroller does not shut down.
Etc.
Instead of the SiC board, you could take a look at our GaN PFC board:
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/eval_2500w_pfc_gan_a/
It is only 2.5 kW, but it can work in both low and high lines.

2)How to add support for SAE J1772?
As mentioned before, these boards are not automotive qualified.
If SAE J1772 needs to be supported, I suggest going over the SAE standard:
https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j1772_201001/
In order to perform the Control Pilot and Proximity Pilot functions, the microcontroller's code needs to be changed accordingly, as well as adding a circuit as below:

Regarding the DC-DC:
1)As you said LLC has slightly higher efficiency so is there any way to make its output voltage range from 40V to 60V ? Do you have any design notes for the same?
The control algorithm needs to be customized and the specs of the components need to be revised to check for compatibility.
Unfortunately, we do not have said app note.
Again, if an order big enough is in place, a call with the board designer could be arranged to discuss customization.

2)How we can make PSFB unidirectional? What are the changes required to do so?
The control scheme needs to be changed from the basic switching pattern.

3)Do you have any reference design which supports battery charging profile i.e. Constant current and constant voltage? Please share the same if you have.
Yes, we do. The board below includes a PFC and a DC-DC stage, Vout is 40V to 60V, Vin is 90Vac to 265Vac, and it supports CC and CV charging modes.
The power, however, is limited to 1kW in low line and 2kW in high line.
If you wish to increase the power to 3.3kW, I suggest making your own board based on this evaluation board, as customizing it to fit 3.3kW is very unlikely to be possible.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/eval_2kw_48v_char_p7/
Please note that it is industrial qualified, not automotive.

Even if the power is quite lower than the target 3.3kW, I suggest using the eval_2kw_48v_char_p7 board, as it is a single board that supports all your requirements except the power.
From there, you could develop a higher-powered board with higher-rated components.

Best regards,

Pablo

0 Likes
vikasdwivedi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Pablo,

Thank you for clearing all our doubts.

Please attach circuit for SAE J1772 support in the OBC which I think you forgotten to attach in your last reply.

Best Regards,

Vikas Dwivedi

0 Likes
Pablo_EG

Hello Vikas Dwivedi,

I apologize for the mistake.

Here is the SAE connector example circuit:

J1772_signaling_circuit.svg.png

It is directly taken from the wikipedia page.
Please reffer to the standard (link in previous reply) for details on how to perform the detection.

Best regards,
Pablo

0 Likes