TLE8718 Linux Driver Support

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
shepdog87
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 questions asked 10 replies posted

Hello,

We are replacing the TLE6220 on our board with the TLE8718 due to the TLE6220 going end-of-life. We used the Linux SPI driver to interface with the TLE6220.

My preliminary search for Linux driver support for the TLE8718 has turned up empty. We plan to use the single-ended interface so it can hopefully behave just like a normal SPI bus. 

Are there any Linux driver packages available for the TLE8718?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. 

Unfortunately we don't provide any Linux drivers for the TLE8718. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Thank you for posting on the Infineon Developer Community. 

Regarding your request for Linux diver package, 

" My preliminary search for Linux driver support for the TLE8718 has turned up empty" : What sources did you use to look for this?

Was any sales team contacted?

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Abhilash,

We were notified that the TLE6220 is discontinued, and the TLE6240 is not recommended for new designs. We were informed that the recommended replacement was the TLE8718 or the TLE9104SH. We assumed that the TLE8718 supported SPI, but we are now doubting this is true based on the Infineon product selector. The TLE9104SH is not in stock anywhere and no one can provide us with lead times, which makes it difficult for us to use, so we planned to move forward with the TLE8718.

We are using a TI processor and it does not appear to support the Micro Second Channel(MSC) bus. The MSC protocol is a bit strange, as the datasheet says it needs 17 bits for communication in one direction, and 13 bits for the other. I am not sure if Linux supports the MSC bus or if a custom low-level driver can be built overtop of the SPI bus.

My sources for driver support were just from searching via Google. I could find TLE 62x0 support easily, but nothing outside of that series (https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/spi/Kconfig). We have now contacted an Infineon rep and are awaiting a response. If MSC is not compatible with SPI I am not sure why Infineon is recommending this chip as a replacement.

I have attached a snapshot from the Infineon product selector that shows the TLE8718 is for MSC and not SPI.

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. 

Unfortunately we don't provide any Linux drivers for the TLE8718. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes