Simulating Power MOSFETs in Simetrix/Simplis Elements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User22346
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome! First question asked First reply posted
I'm trying to model switching losses of an Infineon Power MOSFET (IAUS300N10S5N014) in Simetrix/Simplis Elements (V8.4) by simulating Double Pulse Test. To simulate the switching losses accurately, simplis recommneds Level 2 or 3 spice models. For the selected MOSFET, Infineon has offered
Levels 0,1 & 3 spice models only (no level 2 model). Simplis can extract only L0,1,2 spice models & for level 3 we have to manually create a model (There's no sufficient data to create this). So I would like to model it as a level 2 simplis model.
Do you have any recommendation/ suggestions to create a level 2 spice model (3 pin) with the avaialbel spice models or any other way of doing this simulation in Simplis?

Thanks!
0 Likes
1 Solution
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted
Hello Tharuka,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Forums.

For Infineon MOSFET devices, the Level 2 models are not available, since all features of the Level 2 are completely covered by Level 3 model types with no performance hit.

Please refer to the following App Note for an updated explanation of the different model levels.
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-ApplicationNote_PowerMOSFET_SimulationModels-AN-v01_00-EN.pdf...

Therefore, I recommend you use the Level 3 models in the double pulse simulation.

Next, I will show the steps needed to place a Level 3 model in Simetrix/Simplis:

1) Download the model library from our website. For your case:
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/mosfet/20v-800v-automotive-mosfet/75v-100v-n-channel-a...

2) Add the library (.lib file) by extracting it and drag & dropping it to the Simetrix command shell (on the bottom left side of the main window) and pressing Install.
5278.attach

3) Now go to your schematic. Press Pace-> From Model Library, and select the Level 3 model for your device, which in your case is "IAUS300N10S5N014".

4) Next, a window will appear, asking us to create a symbol for the model.
In the Category drop-down list, we choose NMOS.
In the Symbol drop-down list, we choose N-Channel - thermal - 5 terminal
5279.attach
(The example from above is using a different device, as I already have gone through this process with your device and this is a one-time-only process)

5) Make sure that the pin order is the same as in the library. In your case, Drain, Gate, Source, Tj, Tcase.

6) Press OK and now we can place the Level 3 model on the schematic.

If you prefer to have a 3 pin model, I recommend using the Level 1 model.

Please let me know if you have further questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Best regards,
Pablo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Pablo_EG
Hello Tharuka,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Forums.

For Infineon MOSFET devices, the Level 2 models are not available, since all features of the Level 2 are completely covered by Level 3 model types with no performance hit.

Please refer to the following App Note for an updated explanation of the different model levels.
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-ApplicationNote_PowerMOSFET_SimulationModels-AN-v01_00-EN.pdf...

Therefore, I recommend you use the Level 3 models in the double pulse simulation.

Next, I will show the steps needed to place a Level 3 model in Simetrix/Simplis:

1) Download the model library from our website. For your case:
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/mosfet/20v-800v-automotive-mosfet/75v-100v-n-channel-a...

2) Add the library (.lib file) by extracting it and drag & dropping it to the Simetrix command shell (on the bottom left side of the main window) and pressing Install.
5278.attach

3) Now go to your schematic. Press Pace-> From Model Library, and select the Level 3 model for your device, which in your case is "IAUS300N10S5N014".

4) Next, a window will appear, asking us to create a symbol for the model.
In the Category drop-down list, we choose NMOS.
In the Symbol drop-down list, we choose N-Channel - thermal - 5 terminal
5279.attach
(The example from above is using a different device, as I already have gone through this process with your device and this is a one-time-only process)

5) Make sure that the pin order is the same as in the library. In your case, Drain, Gate, Source, Tj, Tcase.

6) Press OK and now we can place the Level 3 model on the schematic.

If you prefer to have a 3 pin model, I recommend using the Level 1 model.

Please let me know if you have further questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Best regards,
Pablo
0 Likes
User22346
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome! First question asked First reply posted
Hello Pablo,

Thank you for your response. I tried importing level 3 spice model like you've described. But in the commant shell I was stuck at the message "Testing new model IAUS300N10S5N014. This may take a few seconds...".It might be because
I'm using the Simetrix/Simplis Elements (Demo version).
0 Likes
Pablo_EG
Hello Tharuka,

Thank you for your response.

I have tried this method on a new installation of the demo version and it worked.
You could try reinstalling Simetrix and trying again.

If this error occurs when running the simulation, it may be a limitation of the demo version due to the complexity of your schematic.

Best regards,
Pablo
0 Likes