what are the difference between the varius PSoC development tools?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm italian freelance. I receved a to develop firmware for the cypress MCU. Being new, I need help to start. I have several question

1) As written in the title...what are the difference between the varius PSoC development tools?

2) How does the cypress PSoC work? and How can I program them.

3) How many different PSoC family exist and what the difference between them?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the fascinating world of PSoCs!

Families:

PSoC1. 8 bit MCU rather small. Use one of the others for new design

PSoC3: 8051 MCU. Design is from 1980, so I would choose a more modern solution

PSoC4: ARM M0 MCU

PSoC5: ARM M3 MCU

PSoC6 ARM M0+ and ARM M3, a dual core solution

The development tool for PSoC3 to 6 is named Cypress Creator (4.1) and can be downloaded for free from Cypress website.

What makes the PSoCs so different from other competitor's chips are the hardware components which are used like in electronic CAD programs: You place the needed functions as timers, counters, serial interfaces, ADCs, DACs, DMA channels, logic gates, FFs and.. and.. and. Then you configure these components and wire them as required. Then with a bit (or more) C-Language you control the hardware as required. For most of the components there are ready made examples, you can get prototyping kits for $10 which contain programmer and debug interface. Dasheets for a component is just a mouse click away and this forum will always be of some help.

More questions? There is a bunch of videos (each about 5 to 10 minutes) showing how to master the basics.

Happy coding

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the fascinating world of PSoCs!

Families:

PSoC1. 8 bit MCU rather small. Use one of the others for new design

PSoC3: 8051 MCU. Design is from 1980, so I would choose a more modern solution

PSoC4: ARM M0 MCU

PSoC5: ARM M3 MCU

PSoC6 ARM M0+ and ARM M3, a dual core solution

The development tool for PSoC3 to 6 is named Cypress Creator (4.1) and can be downloaded for free from Cypress website.

What makes the PSoCs so different from other competitor's chips are the hardware components which are used like in electronic CAD programs: You place the needed functions as timers, counters, serial interfaces, ADCs, DACs, DMA channels, logic gates, FFs and.. and.. and. Then you configure these components and wire them as required. Then with a bit (or more) C-Language you control the hardware as required. For most of the components there are ready made examples, you can get prototyping kits for $10 which contain programmer and debug interface. Dasheets for a component is just a mouse click away and this forum will always be of some help.

More questions? There is a bunch of videos (each about 5 to 10 minutes) showing how to master the basics.

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a new question. where i can find the example to insert in my PSoC Designer IDE. Now i need to use CSD with 3 button to turn on/off 3 LED.

0 Likes

Open Creator.

On Start page you read "Find Code Example"

or

Right click on CSD component and select "Find Code Example"

You may open two (or more) instances of Creator, so with copy and paste you are able to add schematics and code as you need.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

0 Likes