verilog and datapaths

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KeDa_1385231
Level 1
Level 1
        Hi. I'm looking for examples of using Verilog and expose/consume data that is shared with the CPU. All examples showing verilog and datapath's seem to skip that part. I'm trying to write a component that receives a 24-bit pulse train and exposes it to the CPU for use with a PID controller. Initially, I thought I would clock these values into a verilog reg and then latch them to a register that I could read from the CPU. It also appears that I could skip the entire part and shift them into a datapath and read it from the CPU. But, no examples of anything like this exists (reading verilog values from the CPU). Also, I need to output 5 configuration lines. I thought a control register would do it, so I mapped 5 lines of the control register to the outputs (on my symbol definition). When I build the API side, I always get a "_REMOVED = 1u" for my symbol. FYI: The component I trying to use is TI's ADS1274 - a 24-bit ADC with 4 simulatenous outputs. Any advice, or any good place to get info about DataPaths that aren't already in the documentation (yeah, I already read the manuals provided).   
0 Likes
1 Solution
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Have you seen Brad Buddings blog, I think he addresses a number of datapath

issues, like parallel access -

www.cypress.com/

Regards, Dana.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum!

There are different ways to access an UDB-component

There are a parellel-in and -out bus for signals into the UDB which migt be connected to a control register

There are two FIFOs with the appropiate signals which you may read or write data from/to.using the CPU*

You may even use DMA (on a PSoC4-M) to get data in/out the FIFOs

You may write data directly into the D-registers and read from them

Keep in ming that an UDB contains some (not few!!) PLD logic that allows to create counters shifters digital comparators etc without using the ALU

There are some "Cheat Sheets" (type that into the keyword search on top of this page) helping you to create a working 24-bit wide component.

*It is not magic: If you know the name of an item, you can control it! Since the position of a component may vary from built to built there are some names generated in the component's .h-file to access the internal registers. A self-written component has to provide this .h-file as well and now it is your responsibility to create the appropiate #defines for accessing the internals. In the "Component Author Guide" chapter 6.4 are those secret names listed. Use those with wisdom and care

Bob

Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Keep in mind that there is a rather powerfull hardware-optimizing step. All unused hardware will get optimized out. So a component which's outputs are dangeling and are not connected to a pin will vanish into thin air!

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Have you seen Brad Buddings blog, I think he addresses a number of datapath

issues, like parallel access -

www.cypress.com/

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
KeDa_1385231
Level 1
Level 1
        Wow, a whole bunch of replies overnight..... After playing with the Sparkfun board and seeing with PSoC5 and Creator can do, I got a few of those USB kits, you know, the $10 ones. I convinced my boss to use this in a production design, now I just have to figure out how. 🙂 We are upgrading from a PIC18, because of configurable pins, and industry standard GCC compiler, as opposed to fixed pins and and propriety compiler. Bob Marlowe - I think because I didn't generate an API hook for my control reg, it get dumped. I'm familar with Verilog dumping things, but not, generally outputs. Going to really digest WaveCapture, as it uses DMA, IRQ's, etc. I downloaded a community component and in the process of dissecting it. (WaveCapture). A good paradigm - connecting a status to a control reg. danaaknight - going to check out the blogs later. Thanks guys and gals(?) -- Ken   
0 Likes
KeDa_1385231
Level 1
Level 1
        sorry for the bad formatting. I only get a two line - 1 inch area to post a reply - probably a browser issue.   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

When using ms ie as browser switch on "compatibility mode".

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

...by the way: Has BlackTiger anything to do with PinkPanther?

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

In the keyword search field on the forum page type in "brad budlong datapath",

quite a few hits.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
KeDa_1385231
Level 1
Level 1

danaaknight,

The Brad blog stuff (PSoCSensei) is the absolute best.  After watching several times because the info is so dense, I am now dangerous because I believe I know what I'm doing.

THEN ---- a moment of reflection.  Why was I using Verilog?  I still needed to make stuff glitch-free, implement interrupts handle the FIFO and DMA....  In the 15 minutes it took me to have my morning coffee, I did it using the regular schematic.  A 24-bit shifter, and counter and an edge detect --- and I was basically done and had all the features I would still have to implement in Verilog.

Now I just feel silly.  It was just too ingrained in me -- can't use SPI Master, so I must use Verilog. 

Also, I noticed that the entire library is there, loadable and modifiable, if needed.  The PSoC Creator and Cypress has just overtaken Altera for the best development tools (Microchip, Atmel and Xilinx don't even deserved to be mentioned). 

And best community forum support EVER.

Now, we just need a good hardware simulator, as I'm still stuck with Icarus Verilog.

Thanks again folks,

--Ken

0 Likes