slow debugging with large local arrays

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaLe_3481431
Level 1
Level 1

I am using the psoc6 and trying to debug a function in the m4 core. When I enter a function that has a 2K byte array the stepping takes about 10 seconds. I read some other post here that show this happens if you have a watch window open but all my watch/memory windows are closed. If I make the array global everything works fine.

I am new to cypress tools and keep thinking there must be some other type of memory window still open but I can't find it. What else could it be?

Thanks

David

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello David,

I could recreate the issue and as you mentioned when I make it global everything works fine. I believe this is related to memory allocation. When the array is global it is stored in bss and you can find it in the map file but when it is declared in the main function it goes into the stack.

Would it be feasible to make the array global or fix the memory location of the array?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello David,

I could recreate the issue and as you mentioned when I make it global everything works fine. I believe this is related to memory allocation. When the array is global it is stored in bss and you can find it in the map file but when it is declared in the main function it goes into the stack.

Would it be feasible to make the array global or fix the memory location of the array?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I will just keep it a global for now. Maybe move it back once I have debugged the function.

Thanks

David

0 Likes