Yellow pins in PSoC creator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jcsb1994
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored 50 replies posted 50 sign-ins

From this cypress page https://www.cypress.com/blog/technical/guided-pin-selection-psoc-creator-33 and this thread PSoC Creator Automatic Pin Assignment I can see that yellow pins ''consume more than the minimum routing resources'', I was wondering if there are any negative impacts on signal quality.

For example, I picked yellow traces for a capsense project for routing purposes. If I had chosen green pins, the Rx and Tx capsense lines would have been spread out around the IC, and I2C lines, etc would have been in the way.

pastedImage_1.png

Now, my 7x7 CSX lines are all top left of the IC, so I can get a really clean PCB layout. Is there anything other than taking more resources when picking yellow pins? And what kind of (hardware) resources are we talking about? If capsense readings are not impacted, I much prefer using the yellow pins!

Just in case, I plan on having a I2c, SPI and SWD lines too on the IC, so hopefully there is nothing bad about yellow lpins??

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi JeSi_4326976

Please refer Magsense LX/RX pins / yellow status​.

The yellow pins do not limit the functionality and would be better if the green pins are routed close to some I2C pins as is your case. If your project builds fine, without any error in routing, you are good to go.

Best regards,
Hari

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I hope that you can find the answer(s) in the AN below (or device's TRM)

(please refer to 8. GPIO Pins about fixed pin, and dedicated pin)

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an88619-psoc-4-hardware-design-consideration...

I think that the green pins are what they call "dedicated pin" or "fixed pin".

And yellow pins are pins alternatively routed ones.

So, IMHO,

Yes, there is an impact by selecting yellow pins instead of green pins

No,  in general it works, not as good as the green ones though.

(And in many cases, we only have choice to use yellow ones.)

moto

Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi JeSi_4326976

Please refer Magsense LX/RX pins / yellow status​.

The yellow pins do not limit the functionality and would be better if the green pins are routed close to some I2C pins as is your case. If your project builds fine, without any error in routing, you are good to go.

Best regards,
Hari