Using Base Component

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need a direction signal for the QuadDec component.  Do I place both the Base QuadDec component AND the QuadDec components, and just use the dir output from the base component (make all other connections with the QuadDec component?  Or do I need to place and implement the base component with counters as shown on page 15 in the QuadDec V2.30 datasheet?  In other words, I lack a basic understanding of how to use the Base components - instead of the normal component, or along with the normal component - and do I need to duplicate all the input connections, or will those exist from the main component.  For example, I have a QuadDec_1 AND a Base QuadDec_1 placed on my schematic.  Are they the SAME "instance" of the device, or are they two completely seperate devices internally?  I hope I have explained it well enough.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked
        The base component offers a directional signal but lacks the counters which are all combined in the quadrature detector usermodule. You will have to use the basic component and build up your own counters when you require a dir-signal.   

Bob   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob.  Thank you for the information.  I just ran a test placing both QD components (basic and user), and then using the basic ONLY for the direction signal, and the User version for everything else.  It seems to work OK.  Any disadvantage to doing this?  They are definitely seperate instances of the component - I had to connect the A and B signal lines to both...thanks again.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
        When you know VeriLog, you might use the component's template, copy it and modify it accordingly to get a direction signal. That might save some resources (UDBs and power)   

Bob   
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
        Here it is: Import component from archive. Worked without Verilog.   

Have fun   
Bob   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great.  Thank you!  Just for my learning benefit, did you just have to add the Dir output port in the .cysch for that part since dir already existed as an output on the base component? Or did you add any code?  Thank you again!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
        It is a bit more complicated, the symbol-file has to be altered, the sources copied and renamed and the position within the component catalog has to be set. There is a Component Author Guide, worth reading.   

Bob   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
        ...Ahh, I overlooked your real question. There were NO code changes necessary, just schematic and symbol-file. What made up the work was to have the new component co-existent with the original one.   

Bob   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! 

0 Likes