SPI "National Semiconductor" sub-mode does not work (urgent!)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ErJa_4614451
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First like received

I'm using PSoC creator 4.3 and PDL 3.1.3

I created an SPI block as a master (see screen shot).  There are two slave devices, one is write-only and a data width of 9 bits.  The other is read-only and has a data width of 11 bits.

According to the UDB editor, if the Tx and Rx data widths are not the same, you have to use the "National Semiconductor" sub mode.

I selected "National Semiconductor" and it built fine.  However, when I run the code, during SPI initialization there is an exception generated by an ASSERT which checks if "National Semiconductor" mode is selected when the Tx/Rx sizes are different.   I found that the reason for this assertion is that for some reason, the generated SPI config code does NOT set sub-mode to "CY_SCB_SPI_NATIONAL", but instead uses "CY_SCB_SPI_TI_COINCIDES".  (see code snippet below)

I'd like to know if this is a bug, or if I am doing something wrong.

pastedImage_0.png

cy_stc_scb_spi_config_t const SPI_DISPLAY_config =

{

.spiMode  = CY_SCB_SPI_MASTER,

.subMode  = CY_SCB_SPI_TI_COINCIDES,

.sclkMode = CY_SCB_SPI_CPHA0_CPOL0,

.oversample = 16UL,

.rxDataWidth              = 11UL,

.txDataWidth              = 9UL,

.enableMsbFirst           = true,

.enableInputFilter        = false,

.enableFreeRunSclk        = false,

.enableMisoLateSample     = false,

.enableTransferSeperation = false,

.ssPolarity               = ((((uint32_t) CY_SCB_SPI_ACTIVE_LOW) << SPI_DISPLAY_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT0) | \

(((uint32_t) CY_SCB_SPI_ACTIVE_LOW) << SPI_DISPLAY_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT1) | \

(((uint32_t) CY_SCB_SPI_ACTIVE_LOW) << SPI_DISPLAY_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT2) | \

(((uint32_t) CY_SCB_SPI_ACTIVE_LOW) << SPI_DISPLAY_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT3)),

.enableWakeFromSleep = false,

.rxFifoTriggerLevel  = 0UL,

.rxFifoIntEnableMask = 0x0UL,

.txFifoTriggerLevel  = 0UL,

.txFifoIntEnableMask = 0x0UL,

.masterSlaveIntEnableMask = 0x0UL

};

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Erja,

Because you have an urgent need, I've attached a 'replacement' for the SCB_SPI_PDL component.

The replacement has the 'fix' mentioned above.

To use it, just unarchive it and drop the directory into the directory of your project.  Since the component has the same name as the component you're correcting, the component in TopDesign needs NO CHANGES.  You should be able to Application build and find the desired subMode to be as you were expecting.

WARING!!!  This changed component has NOT BEEN TESTED!  Use it at your own risk.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9

Erja,

I have confirmed your results.

Note:  If you change to Mode = Slave, Sub Mode = National then .

subMode  = CY_SCB_SPI_NATIONAL,

I tried to identify if Mode = Master is allowed to have Sub Mode = National.

The issue comes up in the SCB_SPI_PDL.c file.

.subMode  = `= (0 == $SubMode) ? "CY_SCB_SPI_MOTOROLA" : (1 == $Mode) ? "CY_SCB_SPI_TI_COINCIDES" : (2 == $Mode) ? "CY_SCB_SPI_TI_PRECEDES" : "CY_SCB_SPI_NATIONAL"`,

The following is more for Cypress.  If the above code is changed to:

.subMode  = `= (0 == $SubMode) ? "CY_SCB_SPI_MOTOROLA" : (1 == $SubMode) ? "CY_SCB_SPI_TI_COINCIDES" : (2 == $SubMode) ? "CY_SCB_SPI_NATIONAL" : "CY_SCB_SPI_TI_PRECEDES"`,

then the subMode can be changed to match the Sub Mode set in the configuration panel in either MASTER or SLAVE modes.

Len

Len
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9

Erja,

Because you have an urgent need, I've attached a 'replacement' for the SCB_SPI_PDL component.

To use it, just unarchive it and drop the directory into the directory of your project.  Since the component has the same name as the component you're correcting, the component in TopDesign needs NO CHANGES.  You should be able to Application build and find the desired subMode to be as you were expecting.

WARING!!!  This changed component has NOT BEEN TESTED!  Use it at your own risk.

Len

Len
0 Likes

Hi Len,

Thank you VERY much for your prompt reply and solution! 

In the meantime, I actually changed my strategy as an interim workaround by re-initializing the SPI block with a different transfer size for the times.  The overhead in doing this is acceptable for my current purpose (and it's just a workaround until a new spin of hardware.)   I will keep your special UDB on hand, though as an alternative approach.

Again, I really appreciate your great support!

Best regards,

Eric Jappe

On Saturday, December 12, 2020, 8:20:14 AM EST, LePo_1062026 <community-manager@cypress.com> wrote:

|

Cypress Developer Community

|

SPI "National Semiconductor" sub-mode does not work (urgent!)

reply from LePo_1062026 in PSoC Creator & Designer Software - View the full discussion

Erja,

Len

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Cypress Developer Community

Start a new discussion in PSoC Creator & Designer Software by email or at Cypress Developer Community

Following SPI "National Semiconductor" sub-mode does not work (urgent!) in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Cypress Developer Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Cypress Developer Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Likes

Erja,

You're very welcome.

Len

Len
0 Likes