RTC is not backing up the time after a POR

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaMo_1429561
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First reply posted First question asked

Hello Community,

I am currently evaluating RTC backup time after POR in PSoC6 BLE PIONEER KIT. As mentioned in the schematic there is a supercapacitor connected to VBACKUP for backing up the RTC time(Refer 'CY8CKIT-062-BLE_Kit_Guide' page 33).

I tried flashing the example project '002-16825_CE216825' and '002-18964_CE218964' .

In both the projects, the time is ticking when the kit in on condition. But after a POR the previous time is not retained by the RTC like mentioned in the TRM/datasheet.

Kindly, help to resolve this issue ASAP. As in our design the decision to add an additional IC to retain the time or not totally depend on this. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi MaMo_1429561​,

Can you please check the below threads and let me know if they help?

Re: RTC clock does not keep time during main power loss

More Real-Time Clock woes

Battery/Super Capacitor backup power / RTC

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi MaMo_1429561​,

Can you please check the below threads and let me know if they help?

Re: RTC clock does not keep time during main power loss

More Real-Time Clock woes

Battery/Super Capacitor backup power / RTC

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

Thanks a lot !!

As per your suggestion, I made the required changes in the power supply (ie VBACKUP) settings located in the system tab of .cydwr file.

Now RTC is retaining the time after a POR. So the RTC issue is resolved.

But this fix has created a new issue. Sometimes the BLE controller (Controller is Running in Cortex-M0+ and the Host and Profiles are running in Cortex-M4 in my case) is failed to initialize after a POR.

Errror                        :   Failure! : Cortex-M0+ - BLE controller initialization.

Error reproducibility:  1 out of 5 after a POR

Capture.PNG 

I feel this issue crops up due change in VBACKUP settings done for RTC.

So just wanted to know is there any relation between VBACKUP power and  BLE controller initialization.

Just forgot to mention that I noticed this issue when I programed the PSoC6 with VBACKUP from a dedicated source enabled setting. But actually, not connecting any external battery/source to VBACKUP pin.

Capture.PNG