PSoC Programmer (KitProg2) drivers for Windows on ARM64

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
alexr
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like received First reply posted

Since PSoC Creator still requires Windows, I've been trying to get it to run on a Windows 11 on ARM64 installation. I've tried a variety of systems, but I think the problem is that I need native ARM64 drivers for the KitProg2 device. Are they available?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello @alexr 

At my end, I have tried installing PSoC Programmer on Windows 11 device. PSoC Creator was able to recognize the kitprog2 device. Thus, the problem is definitely not related to windows 11.

I could not find an ARM64 device to test this.  Officially, PSoC Creator and PSoC Programmer have not been tested on ARM64 based devices, so I cannot confirm if it works.

Best Regards
Ekta

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Ekta_N

Hello @alexr 

1. Could you please let me know the ARM64 based device you are using?

2. Are you able to use PSoC Creator in the device without any issues?

3. Is the Kitprog2 recognized on the device you are using?

Till then I will check internally to see if PSoC Creator is tested on a similar environment as being used by you.

Best Regards
Ekta

alexr
Level 1
Level 1

1. CY8CKIT-046, but I’ll probably do some PSoC6 stuff after this.

2. The app runs fine, but no devices can be seen by it or PSoC Programmer.

3. No, that is why I asked about Windows for ARM64 drivers. This is a problem for Microsoft Surface, Windows on Raspberry Pi, and Windows on Parallels or VMWare Fusion on Mac M1.

sspickle
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received

I found a work-around for this. You can use the QEMU based "UTM" VM which support USB pass through. Here's a helpful video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsNoGPczavw 

It's slow, but I can build/program on Parallels (fast) and just program devices on UTM (slow). Of course if you need to debug, it'll just be slow.

alexr
Level 1
Level 1

You're having UTM emulate x86_64 Windows to do so, correct?

0 Likes
alexr
Level 1
Level 1

OK, we're now past the holidays. Does Infineon want customers, or should I give up and look elsewhere for a supported component?

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hello @alexr 

At my end, I have tried installing PSoC Programmer on Windows 11 device. PSoC Creator was able to recognize the kitprog2 device. Thus, the problem is definitely not related to windows 11.

I could not find an ARM64 device to test this.  Officially, PSoC Creator and PSoC Programmer have not been tested on ARM64 based devices, so I cannot confirm if it works.

Best Regards
Ekta

0 Likes
alexr
Level 1
Level 1

As noted before, I know it doesn't work. I'm asking when will it be supported.

0 Likes
sspickle
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received

I've also been trying to get this to work. No luck so far. PSOC Creator runs fine, but PSOC Programmer doesn't see the kit.

Hello.

This is a long shot, but you could try ppcli, a command line interface into PSoC Programmer.

Insert Kitprog2 into USB port.
Open a command prompt window.
Point to this directory:
Program Files\Cypress\PSoC Programmer
And type ppcli, it should return with the > prompt.
Now type GetPorts and hit Enter, and see if Kitprog2 is listed.
Now type quit  to exit ppcli.

If Kitprogr2 is not listed, then it's back to square 1.
If it is listed, you'll see Kitprog2/xxxxxxxxxxxxx (a bunch of hex digits), meaning it's recognized by ppcli and (indirectly) by PSoC Programmer.  You could write a ppcli script to program PSoC devices.  There are examples of scripts near the end of PSoC Programmer CLI User Guide.pdf (found in Program Files\Cypress\PSoC Programmer\Documents).

This doesn't help debugging with Creator, but you might be able to program the PSoC.

BTW, make sure Kitprog2 is not in Mass Storage Programmer mode.  Check the Kitprog2 user guide for interpretation of it's LED's.

I hope there's a solution as I'll be in this same boat soon.

edit:  Could also try programming using Mass Storage Programmer mode.

0 Likes