PSoC Creator Slow Build with PSoC 6

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DavideM
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hi all,

I recently started working with a PSoC 6 development kit (CY8CPROTO-063-BLE). As I was familiar with PSoC Creator for PSoC 5LP, I started developing simple projects targeted to PSoC 6 devices using PSoC Creator 4.4.

The problem is that the build and programming steps are painfully slow on my machine, while being very fast when using PSoC 5LP as target device. Do any of you know what could be the cause of this behaviour?

Here are the specs for my machine:

- MacBook Pro: dual-core 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM

- Windows 10 VM running on Parallels with dual-core, 3 GB RAM

Thanks,

Davide

1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hi @DavideM  and @mp1994 ,

I tried building an I2C Master Code example for the CY8CPROTO-063-BLE board (CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 device) and it took 1 minute 27 seconds to completely build the project. Can you please confirm if build on your system takes approximately the same time?

My CPU usage was within 30 percent

My system has the following specifications:

CPU: Intel core i7

RAM: 16GB

Windows 10, PSoC Creator 4.4

Can you also confirm, if there are any other software like VS code running in the background when you are building the project?

We have previously seen issues when using PSoC Creator with VS Code as mentioned in the kBA: https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/PSoC-Creator-May-Crash-when-Run-Concurrentl...

Thanks and Regards

Ekta

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
mp1994
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First reply posted First like given

Thumbs up for the question! I am also struggling with slow builds for the same PSoC 6 dev kit.

I'd like to add that I noticed a way faster (2x) build speed under a virtual environment (KVM/Qemu) w.r.t to native Windows on the same machine. This is probably because libvirt/KVM is keeping the CPU clock at the nominal value (2.3 GHz), instead of using the dynamic clock feature of Windows, while under native Windows (dual boot in the same machine), the CPU is under-clocked during the build (around 1.2-1.3 GHz).

Also, CPU usage is often below 25-30% during the build.

The specs of my machine are:

CPU: Intel i7-10510U 4 cores (2 cores dedicated to the Windows VM)

RAM: 16 GB (6 GB dedicated to the VM)

Windows 10 PRO, PSoC Creator 4.4

Build time: approx 3 minutes from native Windows, approx 1.5 minutes from the VM

Ekta_N

Hi @DavideM  and @mp1994 ,

I tried building an I2C Master Code example for the CY8CPROTO-063-BLE board (CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 device) and it took 1 minute 27 seconds to completely build the project. Can you please confirm if build on your system takes approximately the same time?

My CPU usage was within 30 percent

My system has the following specifications:

CPU: Intel core i7

RAM: 16GB

Windows 10, PSoC Creator 4.4

Can you also confirm, if there are any other software like VS code running in the background when you are building the project?

We have previously seen issues when using PSoC Creator with VS Code as mentioned in the kBA: https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/PSoC-Creator-May-Crash-when-Run-Concurrentl...

Thanks and Regards

Ekta

0 Likes
DavideM
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hi @Ekta_N ,

thanks for your answer. I did the following tests:

1. Code Example CE220818 "I2C MASTER HIGH LEVEL": on my VM (please find specs on my first post) it took 1 minute and 38 seconds to complete the build. I also tested the same code example on a native Windows machine (4-core Intel Core i7-6700 3.4 GHz, 16 GB of RAM) and it took 1 minute and 31 seconds to complete the build, so results are consistent across the two different setups (Windows VM vs Native Windows)
  2. Code Example CE215121 "BLE HID Keyboard": on my Windows VM it took 3 minutes and 27 seconds to complete the build, while on my Native Windows machine it took only 1 minute and 49 seconds

So, could it be that the presence of a BLE component in the TopDesign slows down the building process?

I can confirm you that I have no software running in the background while completing the building process.

Davide

0 Likes
Ekta_N

Hi @DavideM 

I tried building  a BLE code example and had similar observation. On Windows it took around 1min 50 sec to build the project completely.

It generally takes more time to build the project when changes are made in the top design while on making only code changes in the project, the project builds comparatively faster.

Thanks and Regards

Ekta

0 Likes