PSoC Creator MiniProg3 recognize device but "does not support using it at this time"

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoRo_3281831
Level 1
Level 1
10 questions asked 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

We have a custom board with a schematic very similar to the CY8CKIT-142 PSoC 4 BLE Module (the one that comes with the CY8CKIT-042 BLE-A kit).  Other than not including the BLE elements and having a few other components on the PCB (an EEPROM and an LED Current Driver), it's virtually identical.  The PSoC itself and the SWD connections are exactly the same.

However, when I hook up a MiniProg3 to the device it detects the PSoC but refuses to program it.

The error message is shown in the attached image.

I tested that the MiniProg can program the BLE module directly, and in that case it works flawlessly.  But with my circuit it does not.  I would be less confused if the programmer simply didn't connect at all - that would point to a design or fabrication flaw on my PCBA.  But since it detects the PSoC, it seems that communication and power are established - it just seems to not like the device itself.

I have re-installed PSoC Creator and restarted my computer several times.  I've also run both the installer and PSoC Creator as administrator.  But the fact that the BLE module programs fine means that it's not likely a SW problem.

Can someone explain what, precisely, generates this error message?  Does this message mean that communication was established, but something else in the process broke down?  Or do I need to "initialize" my PSoC in some manner?

My miniprog3 settings are shown in the second screenshot.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
CoreyW_81
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

After a closer look at the design, it was determined that the VCCD OUTPUT from the PSOC 4 was tied to VDDD, but that VDDD was operated at > 1.8V.  When this connection was removed, and the required capacitor was tied from the VCCD pin to ground, the part was identified, programmed, and operated properly.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RyanZhao
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

When try to acquire your board, has other target module on the board been removed?

Which BLE module are you using? Double-check the module number your are using is same with the target module.

Thanks, Ryan

0 Likes

Ryan,

There is no other target module on my custom PCB.  You may be confusing the question with the CY8CKIT that I mentioned only for comparison's sake.  My PCB consists of ONLY a CYC84248LQI-BL583 processor, an EEPROM, and some comm lines to a few sensors.

Thanks,

-Ron

0 Likes
Roy_Liu
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

The possible reason is the hardware design/connection issues, such as the Bypass Caps at the power supply Vddx/Vccx pins(please check the device datasheet or CY8CKIT-042-BLEA kit design files for this). Also please refer to the article below if you can debug the issue.

Troubleshooting PSoC® 3/4/5LP Programming/Debugging Issues - KBA210619

Roy Liu

I face the same problem before because I didn't connect the VDDA & VSSA  pins 

0 Likes
CoreyW_81
Employee
Employee

Hi Ron -

Can you confirm you have the latest download of PSOC Programmer installed?  Should be 3.28.0:

http://www.cypress.com/file/455166/download

Within PSOC Programmer, you should be able to do a Checksum of the firmware in the part.  Doesn't matter what is in the part, what you are looking for is that PSOC Programmer can identify your device properly.  If it can, then PSOC Creator should be able to communicate with the device for debug, as it uses PSOC Programmer's drivers to communicate with the part.

Let's start there first and see the result.

0 Likes
CoreyW_81
Employee
Employee

After a closer look at the design, it was determined that the VCCD OUTPUT from the PSOC 4 was tied to VDDD, but that VDDD was operated at > 1.8V.  When this connection was removed, and the required capacitor was tied from the VCCD pin to ground, the part was identified, programmed, and operated properly.